E6 Kamado fuel grate position and deflector plate

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I have had my E6 for a few months so I am still learning how to best utilize the great features. I need a couple of suggestions.
1 Fuel grate position. I have been using the lowest position for most cooks as it works great in that position, I figure for searing I could raise it but haven't had to.
2 Deflector plate. I only use it on low and slow. Any advantage to use it at other times?
3 Does anyone use automated temperature control such as a Billows for long smokes?

Thanks for any suggestions to speed up my learning curve.

I use lower position for pizza making and slow cooks only. Slow cooks, ribs, get the deflector plate and I double wrap the plate in heavy duty foil for easy cleanups.

I tend to do many cooks indirect with fuel on upper position. This allows me to spin the cooking grate to slowly add sear to proteins. I’ll mix direct and indirect in the same cook.

My direct cooks have been the salmon (very high temp sear), burgers and dogs of which I also move to indirect on the burgers and dogs too.

I use not blowers to manage temps as the ash can slider is very good at regulating temps coupled with top vent closure and opening to desired heats.

Those Asian ribs I did recently held at 260° very consistently with zero readjusting
once the cook started. That was a lower coal position with plate and with wood chunks in the coals.

Thanks, answered all my questions! This was the main reason I joined this forum because everyone here has common grounds and I'm sure most people rather have easier than harder. LOL some of my past smokers had no temperature controls so I had to figure out on my own how to use the poorly designed cooker. (y)

Mine stays low all the time. For everything. I only use the deflector on low and slow. For searing I merely open the lid and it allows the flames to kick up real quick and give me the sear I want, best sear I’ve ever had.

I do use a temp controller probably 75% of the time, usually because of work schedule and needing sleep since I drive a lot. Use the Thermoworks X4 and Billows. Love it.

I hate to admit it but I have a Traeger and really like set and forget for long cooks. I'm thinking with a live fire it would be nice to have a similar option if possible.

Over 3 hours. I think watching the digital thermometer makes me nervous. LOL what's that saying ignorance is bliss?

Orchard used to have Cowboy but they rode off into the sunset! I will check my Costco next time. Thanks

I use both positions often. I'll drop the grate low for LnS.

I use an extra grate (pretty sure it's a 7441) in the middle position if I am using the Vortex. It's the perfect height to get the vortex just below the cooking grate.

Top position for nearly everything else.

Back