E6 fuel consumption vs WSM

TravisGrimm

TVWBB Member
I was wondering if anyone with the E6 could possibly chime in. Did a pork butt on a 22" WSM. Ran the cooker at 275° for about 9.5 hours. Was about 60° outside and sunny. Went through almost 20lbs of charcoal. Not a big deal but was wondering if I could get a comparison on an E6. For around the same cook time/fuel use

20# is a full KBB bag. 275 is a low and slow. and this is for one (1) butt?

i'd bet you're looking at around 40-50% of that burned (10# is still a lot), in my estimate due ot E6's heat retention. 20# bag is a lot of coal, like a real lot.

on this kind of cook, i'd have used B&B Charlogs which are quite miserly too. probably would have loaded 10-14 charlogs knowing i'd have leftovers and not have to even think of putting fuel into the lower rack for this cook/duration/temp.

@Darryl - swazies, @Mark Foreman , any input/thoughts on this?

Here’s the aftermath of a 5 hour brisket HAF.

Coal load was even across the bin. Cook was 350° IIRC.

99% sure this was B&B briqs.

1635383011956.jpeg

I was wondering if anyone with the E6 could possibly chime in. Did a pork butt on a 22" WSM. Ran the cooker at 275° for about 9.5 hours. Was about 60° outside and sunny. Went through almost 20lbs of charcoal. Not a big deal but was wondering if I could get a comparison on an E6. For around the same cook time/fuel use
from my own observations, the 22 WSM has good size volume inside so it will take more coal to keep the heat. and one butt is a small amount of meat to absorb and hold that heat and temp. 4 butts would have taken the same time and would have held better temps due to acting like heat sinks in the cooker. so i don't think the coal burned for a single butt is a good measure of cooker efficiency. the WSM 22 is a great unit and especially for larger/large type cooks. kind of like using a hammer to kill ants. yup, it'll work, but maybe not the best tool for the job.

I didn't use half that much cooking 6 pork butts almost 80 lbs start weight at 225 for 18 hours on my wsm.

from my own observations, the 22 WSM has good size volume inside so it will take more coal to keep the heat. and one butt is a small amount of meat to absorb and hold that heat and temp. 4 butts would have taken the same time and would have held better temps due to acting like heat sinks in the cooker. so i don't think the coal burned for a single butt is a good measure of cooker efficiency. the WSM 22 is a great unit and especially for larger/large type cooks. kind of like using a hammer to kill ants. yup, it'll work, but maybe not the best tool for the job.
Lol. I was going to smoke it on my kettle but I'm going to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving and I've only got 2 smokes under my belt on this cooker. So figured I'd have another go at it before I do the turkey. That'd impressive though for the brisket smoke with that little of charcoal used

i'd bet you're looking at around 40-50% of that burned (10# is still a lot), in my estimate due ot E6's heat retention. 20# bag is a lot of coal, like a real lot.

on this kind of cook, i'd have used B&B Charlogs which are quite miserly too. probably would have loaded 10-14 charlogs knowing i'd have leftovers and not have to even think of putting fuel into the lower rack for this cook/duration/temp.

The meat I have cooked the most times on the E6 would be the pork shoulder.
It has been a while since I have used it but for some reason I have a hard time believing I could get 20 pounds in the lower section of that thing.
Now I generally fill it most of the way or close to it. I also add 3 chunks of smoke wood scattered in there too, but buried in the charcoal as I have seen done in the WSM. I try to start a smaller but hot fire and put it at about 10:00 in the chamber (10 if I was standing in front of the WSK)
I find it burns in the same direction each time and this seems to be efficient, which helps if I end up using most of the charcoal.
As far as being efficient, well we all know it is the highlight of this grill I find it to be outright amazing.
Without knowing the exact amount being used and if I had to guess I would say probably half a bag or less is what I put in mine.
Like I say this is a guess because I haven't used the smoker in a month easy and I have never measured.( next weekend is another shoulder cook )
I can take better notes and update this thread if it is needed.
I never burn all of it either, refer to Brett's pics. My last cook was a shoulder, fairly large, it was about 9 pounds and it was a bone in one this time and was a pretty thick piece. I have pics of it in a thread I made after the cook.
Apparently I haven't smoked anything real size in close to 3 months, I have to get on this!

I started the smoke off nice and low, give it time to get a bit of smoke on it and let it warm up naturally, this grill likes to hit about 260 and stay there. This could be just mine or where it sits with respect the wind / weather, who knows. So it's easy to get there but hard to get it to lower once it is there...that takes a a lot of work, closing off the top vent for 10 minutes at a time and then opening it up again for a couple of minutes for an hour or so if you want it to drop. I was able to smoke at about 235 for the first couple of hours, it will stay there if I don't keep opening the lid. After that I brought the temp up to 265 ish and let it do its thing for hours. This cook was taking forever so I had increased the temps and used paper for wrap and all that fun, I ended up at 300 degrees or so for the last 4 hours or so and being wrapped. So I would say it ran 265 for a good 5 hours and 300 for a good 4 hours and the first 2 hours was about 235. It makes it hard to determine cooking at a certain temp for X amount of hours gets 10 pounds of charcoal to last X amount of time......I had charcoal left over and 3 good sized hunks of wood took up more real estate than you would think too. So less than 10 pounds of charcoal for sure...feels like the more I think about it the more it feels less than 10 pounds I had it burning on average more than 265 degrees for about 12 hours straight. The cool off period and all that and cleaned it the next day with leftovers still in the bottom.

If there is any more concern I am doing another mid November....it is the plan so far, it has been requested by one of my guests.
Oakrdige competition.......nothing else compares to this on a shoulder, I put the rub on as thick as it will soak it up.

Last edited:

I have a WSM 22 and the E6. I use the 22 for big jobs and being full of charcoal which for me is about 12+ pounds. It will hold temperature for 9 to 11 hours. I use the 22 for very large/multiple pieces of meat. The charcoal consumption is reasonable considering it’s size. I always start the 22 with a very small fire Which really helps the cook time.
I use the E6 for grilling and smaller smokes such as 4 lb butt, 1 or 2 slabs of ribs. The last ribs I smoked was 2 St Louis slabs at 250 degrees. I used one large, full chimney of Kingsford Competition with 2 tennis ball sized chunks of smoke wood. Ribs were done in 5 1/2 hours and the E6 held temperature for over 7 hours.
But as Darryl point out, burn time is dependent on cook temperatures and not time. In summary, with both full of charcoal per Webers instructions, I typically get 10ish hours at temp with water pan in the WSM and close to 20 with the E6. The are just guesstimates And not measured.
I now use JD lump in the E6 almost exclusively and get wonderful results. I found that my WSM seems to work better with charcoal.

Last edited:
Serveral unknown's here; what type/brand of charcoal did you use, how did you light the coal, how many lbs. was the butt, were you using the WSM with water, is your unit properly sealed, did you use an an ATC, what temperature guage/thermometer were you using, without knowing any of this, it's hard to make any kind of comment...... and the beat goes on!

I've got a fair amount of experience with the WSM 22 and 20lbs of charcoal for a cook like that seems like a bit much. I would guesstimate 15 lbs or less of KF original briqs would do it, using a dry pan, and doughnut/minion method + foil wrap for the stall. I haven't done a pork but on my E6 yet, but I'm guessing the E6 would get it done with 10 lbs or less of KF original.

Wind is actually a pretty big factor in fuel efficiency for the WSM too - a light steady wind on a 60F day could rob a lot of heat.

Serveral unknown's here; what type/brand of charcoal did you use, how did you light the coal, how many lbs. was the butt, were you using the WSM with water, is your unit properly sealed, did you use an an ATC, what temperature guage/thermometer were you using, without knowing any of this, it's hard to make any kind of comment...... and the beat goes on!
10lb butt
14 briquettes in a chimney
No water
Sealed with lava lock
No ATC
Ink bird 4 probe wifi thermometer
Kingsford original briquettes

Maybe try a different brand of charcoal, I like Kingsford for grilling & Cowboy or B & B for smoking. Also, if you have a kettle, set it up with the snake method next time you try a butt, you will use way less charcoal & it will be done quicker.

If you have a WinCo near you, check out their name brand Mesquite Charcoal. It used to be $5 for a 18LBS bag, but due to the recent and rapid inflation, it's $8

It's great charcoal, I use it in my WSM and my Kettle

10lb butt
14 briquettes in a chimney
No water
Sealed with lava lock
No ATC
Ink bird 4 probe wifi thermometer
Kingsford original briquettes
I have personally found Kingsford briquettes don't last as long for me as BnB. I will use at least twice the amount of Kingsford to get the same result as I get with BnB. Kingsford burns hot and fast for me...others haven't had that problem. There is always the possibilty you had a bad batch of charcoal that wasn't bound /compressed as tightly as it could be or was just off in some way. I do agree with others, it's not a lot of meat for a big smoker, meat eventually acts as a heat sink but really only the 2nd half of cooks imo. A cool breeze can also play havoc by robbing heat or blowing into a vent and stoking the fire too hot. I think humidity was also mentioned which I agree with too. I keep my bags of charcoal in a large plastic container in the front garage next to the house with a lid on it. Unfortunately you're left to be the sleuth and figure out what you think happened...good luck with your detective work...it's half the fun of smoking meat imo.

I have used Kpro for many years. Wasn’t super impressed with BnB bricks. Or at least enough to order it because there is little to no BnB available here in the North Bay.

Back