E310 upgrades using E330 parts

Jason-Tex

Picked up an E310 a few months back for $100 and use it as much as my old genesis skyline. Really like the extra space. Well, the other day someone tossed an e330 to the curb with a rotted out cabinet. Couldnt help myself and tossed it in the truck. Found out I could swap out the side burner and the main burners to add a sear station to mine. Had to cut out the burner slot in my firebox because the donor firebox wasn't in as good of shape. Hole saw and grinder and almost looks factory. Swapped the burner assmbley and face. Fired it up and works great, gets much hotter too with that sear station burner on. Here are a few pics if anyone interested in the mod. Seems like people tossing these model webers because of the cabinets so you can score free part upgrades. Also found the grill grates in better shape than mine so i swapped them too.
20220415_170433.jpg
20220415_170453.jpg
20220415_170510.jpg

Last edited:
Such a shame these cabinets dont hold up. Seems like alot of good grills go to an early grave because of the cabinet issues.

Yep, that is the one downfall of those E3xx grills. Even the earlier Genesis grills with cabinets suffered the same problems.

That's very cool how you did that. One thing you may have noticed is that the firebox with the sear burner included a small metal plate above the burners. It is designed to help protect the firebox against excessive heat caused by having that extra burner. The one on the trash grill you picked up may already have been rusted away. How well it works, I guess, is hard to say. I do think you will need to use a little caution on longer cooks with all those burners going. You can still buy that piece from Weber, but it is kind of overpriced. You could probably fab up something seeing as you look to be handy with metal working tools (y) .

That's very cool how you did that. One thing you may have noticed is that the firebox with the sear burner included a small metal plate above the burners. It is designed to help protect the firebox against excessive heat caused by having that extra burner. The one on the trash grill you picked up may already have been rusted away. How well it works, I guess, is hard to say. I do think you will need to use a little caution on longer cooks with all those burners going. You can still buy that piece from Weber, but it is kind of overpriced. You could probably fab up something seeing as you look to be handy with metal working tools (y) .
Must have rusted away. Only thing there was a screw. I will order that plate for sure. Thank you for the heads up. Looks like my firebox has same spot for screw.

Haven’t seen that one. I think that’s in line with what Weber charged me. Probably the easiest solution. It would be great to fab one up from a piece of stainless, though. The OEM ones don’t last, as you have seen, in such a high heat and food acid environment.

Yah, I would think that piece would be easy to fab up out of stainless. It doesn't have to be an exact replica, just something you can fasten on with that screw that deflects the heat in that area. It would probably be cost prohibitive if you had to buy a piece of SS. But, if you can find some scrap laying around, it would be a great project.

How thick do you think that metal is. Found this sheet of SS on amazon for $6 shipped. This is pretty thin and can work with hand tools.

K & S 87183 Stainless Steel Sheet, 0.018" Thick x 6" Width x 12" Long, 1 Piece, Made in The USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000H5W3PI/?tag=tvwb-20

That's about 26 gauge. Very thin.
I have considered cutting a section out of
an old weber cook box and using it when
my heat deflector wears out. I have also
considered taking an old stainless flavorizer,
cutting to length and straightening in a vise.
If you have one of either laying around ...
it may be worth a shot.

Back