E-335 Deal

George Si

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi long time absent. I managed to pick up a out of box assembled Weber E 335. I thought it was a good deal at $477 all in.
my question is concerning the cast iron grates. I have always had SS by explainer but just curious how the cast iron ones are? Nice to be back. George

I think he picked up the grill with factory CI grates and was mentioning that in the past he always had RCPlanebuyer SS solid rod grates and was trying to get opinions on the two.

I am a definite cast iron fan, but I don’t think the cast iron grates being offered by Weber today are like the thick, original ones. Those old ones can last for many years of service. Since the ones you have are new and with the grill, I would use them and see how it goes. Keep them seasoned and inside if you store your grill for the winter. Meanwhile, start saving for another set of stainless rod grates from rcplanebuyer.

Overall, grate performance is related to two major things. Spacing and mass. Within reason (IOW not closed up) tightly spaced elements will make grilling easier (less fall through, less sticking with softer foods i.e. fish fillets, just overall more pleasant to work with), heavier mass (IOW the elements are thicker) will help retain more heat inside (better mass) and make for overall better performance. As to one material being better over the other. It's a tossup all other things mentioned being equal.
That brings up maintenance. Hands down stainless wins. Even cheaper 400 series stainless is easier to maintain than cast iron and more forgiving of mistreatment. Obviously 300 series is better yet

Thanks Bruce for clarifying that. Sorry if I sounded confusing Any suggestions on best way to season the CI before I use them? I think I will leave the flat side facing up. I think will be easier to clean that way. All your suggestions are greatly appreciated
ps My former Marine son is making out the best. his end of the bargain is taking his truck to pick the grill up. My end is giving him the Silver B with folding trays on both sides, everything is excellent condition and the rcplaner grates...but i will check if the grates will fit on the E 335

Thanks. I actually checked when my son came over and helped unload. Any ideas as best way to season the cast iron. I was going to oil them down in a utility tub

Or get some SS Solid rod grates and neglect the snot out of them.

t0sG1c6.jpg

Can someone please suggest a way, other than eBay, of contacting Dave(rcplaner). I lost my info. He asked me to get in touch but not ebay

Back