E-310 Grill hood

Tim O

TVWBB Fan
Picked this up on Marketplace last week for $100. Needed some clean up but happy with the find. Only downside is this faded hood (see pics). Can this be buffed out with steal wool or is it discoloration? And, what causes it to get this bad? Grill is 3 years old.

Thanks all. IMG_3664.jpegIMG_3660.jpeg

It's hard to say for me looking at your picture. I suppose it is possible it is just gummed on junk that could be buffed out - but not with any old steel wool - needs to be 0000 fine, fine grade. That and some Simple Green or if you have car detailing stuff a buff out with rubbing compound.

Unfortunately, it is quite likely that you have the classic "Weber fade." You can't do anything about that as it is internal to the porcelain. Most common on black porcelain hoods. I can see where the Weber sales decal was apparently left on for a long time. The "shadow" could be glue holding gunk or more likely the minimal protection it gave the porcelain below it as it was all exposed to the elements.

Try using some water spot remover from your local auto parts store. Make sure the grill is cool and out of the sun while cleaning it.

I would hate to think that your lid has "faded" after only a few years, but I guess it's possible. I would try the simple green and fine steel wool as @Jon Tofte suggested above. I've done it on quite a few much older grill lids with success. Calcium and lime remover may also work in your case.

Weber fade- no fix, other than replacing the porcelain finish = expensive.
3 years old, doubtful Weber will warranty either.
I have been seeing this quite often on the Spirit II's. My guess is a very
poor original porcelain application. I am curious to see how it goes
though and much more these lids will fade as they get older.

Just grab a good cleaner like simple green, a #0000 steel wool pad and scrub it on one side. That way you can easily see if it helping. There should be a very clear difference after scrubbing the one side. If not, it is weber fade and nothing you can do about it other than replace it. It used to happen almost exclusively to black lids and then only after 10+ years. Now it seems that the color lids may be prone to it an much sooner.

Just grab a good cleaner like simple green, a #0000 steel wool pad and scrub it on one side. That way you can easily see if it helping. There should be a very clear difference after scrubbing the one side. If not, it is weber fade and nothing you can do about it other than replace it. It used to happen almost exclusively to black lids and then only after 10+ years. Now it seems that the color lids may be prone to it an much sooner.
Sad to hear about the (I assume) newer colored lids. The old ones seem to be fairly fade-proof so that means Weber has changed something in the formula or application of the glass.

In fairness, even the older kettles and gas grill hoods sometimes faded while others held up amazingly. It seems that there must be variations during the process where the porcelain isn't applied as well. (Monday jobs?!!!) However, based on what Dave noted, it is probably true that these newer imported grills have a higher tendency to fade.

A good example is the late 1990s Skyline hoods. It is very hard to find one of these without significant fade on the top of the hood. Not sure if that has anything to do with the application of the porcelain in conjunction with the lettering, but I have seen even older black Platinum hoods with similar lettering that stayed black.

Back