Dutch Oven London Broil w/ Veggies

Hayden McCall

TVWBB All-Star
This recipe is ridiculously simple. It was passed on to me by my mother. It was originally her mother's recipe. Something comforting about preparing a meal the way your grandmother did long before you were even around.

I used a LeCrueset cast iron dutch oven. Get yourself a decent sized London Broil and rub into it two packets (1 box) of Lipton French Onion Soup mix. Toss a bunch of carrots and red potatoes into the dutchie with 1/2-3/4 cups each water and red wine. Set the london broil on top of the vegetables. I cook at 350 for nearly 3 hours. When all is said and done, you could cut this stuff with a wooden spoon. This is easily done in both your Weber or your oven.

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0354.jpg

Everything looks good, except for that bottle of Holland House "red wine" in that photo.
Do yourself a favor, and stop buying that petrified, flavorless, shelf-stable, salt-preserved "cooking wine."

If you are not a wine drinker, and don't want to buy a whole bottle of red wine for fear that it may go bad, you can often purchase 4-packs of little bottles of wine with twist off caps. My wife and I are huge wine drinkers, but we keep those 4-packs on hand for when we need a few tablespoons of red or white, and we have the opposite bottle open for drinking.

My guess is that if Hayden's mother and grandmother used Holland House, then the dish would probably not taste the same if other wine were used instead.
But then again, I don't get the wine thing
icon_smile.gif

Great looking meal Hayden!

great looking roast and thanks for the recipe. I see london broils on sale all the time and really never knew what to do with one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
I see london broils on sale all the time and really never knew what to do with one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm new here, so, like a new kid at the playground, I am trying to play nice.
icon_smile.gif

But allow me to point out a few things about London Broil.
icon_mad.gif

Hayden did not make "London Broil."

Originally, London Broil was a name given to a preparation method, but now it is also used as a nick-name for a cut of meat.

London Broil as a prep method would NEVER include braising in liquid as noted above.

Traditionally, London Broil was Beef Top Roast, and would be physically tenderized, and broiled in a skillet. It would never be cooked beyond medium rare. Then it would be thinly cut across the grain and served in slices to promote tenderness.

At some point in time, people began marinating Top Round steak or Flank steak, and then grilling it, and calling that London Broil.

Now, to make matters worse, some supermarkets and butchers are labeling Round, Flank, and Shoulder Steak as London Broil. This makes things really confusing.
Shoulder Steak can also be quickly seared, broiled or grilled and sliced thinly in the London Broil prep method, but is equally adept at slow braises as Hayden did above.
You would never use flank steak in a braising method as above, or you would have some pretty inedible meat.

It is important to remember that Hayden probably used a Shoulder "London Broil" cut of meat, not Flank Steak, and not the London Broil Prep method.
If you are at the market and see things on sale, pay attention to the actual cut that is marketed as "London Broil," so you know how to prepare it.
londonbroil.jpg

In regards to using the Holland House... I've used different types of wine, and have found the difference in taste to be marginal at best. However, the Holland House isn't something I'd go out of my way to purchase. Not wanting to waste what's in the house, however, this is about as good a way to use it as any.

I'm in the process of embarking upon a unique mission. Use everything in the house (fridge, freezer, and pantry) before embarking on a trip to the grocery store. Yes. Everything.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Posted April 24, 2010 12:05 PM Hide Post
My guess is that if Hayden's mother and grandmother used Holland House, then the dish would probably not taste the same if other wine were used instead.
But then again, I don't get the wine thing Smiler </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree, And I do get the wine thing!
icon_wink.gif
I love to cook with wine, and sometimes I even add it to the food.
icon_smile.gif
But... If my Grandmother used Holland House, some recipes were not meant to be changed.

Great job Hayden! My husband would love this, I will be making it soon, thank you for sharing.

Very impressive Hayden! Nice choice of ingredients and method! Keep up the tradition, if Mom uses then it's always perfect!

Back