Dutch Oven in the WSM?

BillC

Hi all,

I've been reading through one of my Francis Mallmann cookbooks and he has an awesome recipe for Red Wine-Braised spare ribs. I'd like to try it out and since I'm using my WSM for just about everything these days I got to thinking about what, if any, benefit there would be to braising/baking something in a covered dutch oven in there.

Has anyone tried something like this? Does any smokey flavor come through or is mostly just a waste of good charcoal?

If the lid is off, then yes there's benefit to the DO in the WSM. A lot of guys here (and I have too) used their DO on their kettles, probably mostly because it's closer to the heat. If you have a smokey joe handy, you might put the grate form the SJ on the grate of the WSM, just to reinforce it some, the DO is heavy and the top grate of the WSM is not heavy duty. (the lower grate of the WSM is heavy duty though)

I do baked beans in a DO in the WSM often. Even better when I have a ham or some ribs on the top rack to add some drippings.

Bill, give it a whirl (uncovered).... You'll be pleasantly surprised by the results.

oh, and Welcome to the forum!

Back