Durawood Question

That's a beauty right there! The slats could even be random widths, too, for a uniquely custom look...but consistent spacing matters most, judging by the efforts I've seen expended here at TVWBB. Quarters and pennies, oh my!

Sadly, if you were to revisit that beauty a year or two after being out in the elements...we need something more durable.
Yes, where I live it rains 9 months of the year. Other parts the country get intense sun or really cold winters. One way or another, the weather beats the heck out of think planks of wood, especially when exposed on both sides. If one has the time and energy to treat them every year, they can remain beautiful. Not something I have time for.

For that situation, durawood slats are a good way to maintain the classic look while gaining a great deal more durability.

I would love to get a set of black durawood. @Bruce tried using his dyeing technique on some gray slats but they did not accept the dye very well and didn’t turn out black. This method does wonders on knobs and plastic trim, but the durawood is a different animal.

For that situation, durawood slats are a good way to maintain the classic look while gaining a great deal more durability.

I would love to get a set of black durawood. @Bruce tried using his dyeing technique on some gray slats but they did not accept the dye very well and didn’t turn out black. This method does wonders on knobs and plastic trim, but the durawood is a different animal.
I agree that the black is way more attractive.

I just grabbed these NOS pieces on eBay to add to my inventory. I know I have at least one piece out in the Grillyard that I might be able to use them on. Wile I’m not a Durawood fan per se, I do like the idea of possibly being able to keep this originality rather than just swapping things out to the redwood slats I have made locally for my projects. Did I overpay at $40 a pop?...possibly, but it feels like a decent score to me and that’s all that really matters. For all I know, I may have just purchased them from someone on here but it looks more like I might’ve bought some old inventory from a hardware store.
96D72752-1A41-455E-960E-BF76478DC6F7.png

If you bought them to flip grills with perhaps. If you bought them for "keeper" grills likely not

My 1998 gen 1000 LX came with Durawood and 24 years later they are still like new. That's why when I converted the 1000 to a 2000, I kept them it's a work grill, so I wanted ease of maintenance. Never more than a 5 minuet clean up.
DSCN2766.JPG

If you bought them to flip grills with perhaps. If you bought them for "keeper" grills likely not
That’s what I’m thinking as well. No such thing as a keeper for me yet. I cook on whatever happens to be functional in my inventory at any given time. Of late, that’s been a tired old Silver B in need of much love. My customers even make fun of me. Some day, I’ll get to this very original Redhead that I’ve been saving for myself, but she’s been waiting patiently for 3+ years and I still haven’t dug into her enough to figure out her true model or age yet.
3F166EC7-5D56-4F81-A472-8B51779BFABE.png

All those slat grills are a little risky from the food safety perspective. Better with the simple wire shelf on the bottom and the solid plastic or stainless steel work side tables.

Not much of a real risk if you know what you are doing, but I see from a corporate perspective why they might have done away with the slats.

I guess, but it still begs the question why do the rest of us with half an ounce of common sense always have to bough to the idiots of the world?

I think the slats were eliminated because of cost issues and to achieve a more “modern” look. I can see raw stuff spilling on your table, but I would not ever set food on one. So, yes, I would say stainless or the thermoset tables are a lot easier to thoroughly clean and present less issues, however remote.

I love the charm of wood slats and wouldn’t hesitate to use them myself, however.

I think the slats were eliminated because of cost issues and to achieve a more “modern” look. I can see raw stuff spilling on your table, but I would not ever set food on one. So, yes, I would say stainless or the thermoset tables are a lot easier to thoroughly clean and present less issues, however remote.

I love the charm of wood slats and wouldn’t hesitate to use them myself, however.
I'd have used wood in my restores if the climate here were more cooperative.

I just grabbed these NOS pieces on eBay to add to my inventory. I know I have at least one piece out in the Grillyard that I might be able to use them on. Wile I’m not a Durawood fan per se, I do like the idea of possibly being able to keep this originality rather than just swapping things out to the redwood slats I have made locally for my projects. Did I overpay at $40 a pop?...possibly, but it feels like a decent score to me and that’s all that really matters. For all I know, I may have just purchased them from someone on here but it looks more like I might’ve bought some old inventory from a hardware store.
View attachment 44315
No, you didn't overpay for that at all. That's about what they cost when you could still get them. I would have snapped those up in a heartbeat. Great find.

Back