Durability of Porcelain Finish

Jan Smith

TVWBB Member
Looking to replace a 10-year old Summit grill with Genesis E-330 which apparently only comes in black if you want natural gas. Having had NG, I would never go back to LP. So our question is what is the experiences people have had with finish durability? The Summit was SS and looks great (although I do have oxidation issues with parts of the firebox. I don't really feel like doing a rebuild that would probably cost a good fraction of a new grill. Any comments on durability (or anything else) would be appreciated.

I have a 2009 NG E320 in bronze that still looks like new. I also have a 1999 LX1000 in green that's still perfect. My Ducane gasser is SS and much harder to keep up then the porcelain finishes. I'll take Porcelain over SS every time.

I strongly prefer the porcelain over the SS. It's sooo much easier to keep clean, and I like the look of it better. Being that the Genesis has the cast aluminum firebox, you won't have trouble with it like you had on the Summit. There are plenty of posts on here that point out the longevity benefits of the Genesis over the Summit.

Looking to replace a 10-year old Summit grill with Genesis E-330 which apparently only comes in black if you want natural gas. Having had NG, I would never go back to LP. So our question is what is the experiences people have had with finish durability? The Summit was SS and looks great (although I do have oxidation issues with parts of the firebox. I don't really feel like doing a rebuild that would probably cost a good fraction of a new grill. Any comments on durability (or anything else) would be appreciated.

I'd love to see pics of the Summit you are replacing

You should be able to get any color you want with NG. Check out Ace Hardware as they have upgraded models that come with the SS grates.

I agree that the porcelain is easier to clean. I have had both and am now back with porcelain.
Ray

IMO BTW true stainless steel is not bad to keep nice. My Wolf is solid 304 SS and it pretty much is a breeze. Same with the 304 areas on my Summit. Non 304 is harder to keep nice because of the little "pits" that degrade it's look when they develop. Just harder to get dirt/grease off cause they hold on to it

Back