Duck L'Orange with Herbed Pommes Frite

Dwain Pannell

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I have always considered duck to be both financially and culinarily out of reach. I've had it many times in restaurants but never cooked duck at home. At $2.99/lb, with a solid plan, this will change. After all, this is 2014.

I used Alton's recipe as a guide and deviated by using 2 cups orange juice and 2 cups blood orange juice instead of pineapple orange juice in the brine.

The fat was separated from the water used to steam the duck pieces. The Pommes Frite were fried in the liquid gold along with kosher salt, ground black pepper, onion and garlic powder, and Herbes de Province.

The sauce, which was nothing more than the package pulled from the duck cavity when thawed, was plated under the duck. The sauce was actually better than expected. In fact, it was excellent! LOL

The meat was tender, moist and delicious. The Pommes superb. This was an excellent meal that I will definitely do again.

Dwain. Beautiful man. I feel the same way about duck and know the exact episode where A.B. did this. Very cool post and thanks for sharing.

Wow that looks good!!! I want to try doing a duck as well but I don't even know if I like it, I don't remember ever trying it but I am sure I have at some point.

Wow that looks good!!! I want to try doing a duck as well but I don't even know if I like it, I don't remember ever trying it but I am sure I have at some point.
Ditto what John said...
I will have to try it before I cook my own. Nice job Dwain.

Duck is delicious! When I can find them at a good price I like to pick them up. Grilled, confit, I even turn it into sausage some time. Your duck and Pom frites look superb! Thanks for sharing.

Nice looking cook, Dwain! Although I have tried duck and do not like it because I think the taste is too strong, I think your pics are very inviting and look delicious.

Thanks for sharing!

Barret

...I want to try doing a duck as well but I don't even know if I like it...

Ditto what John said...
I will have to try it before I cook my own..

...Although I have tried duck and do not like it because I think the taste is too strong ...

I think a lot of folks fall into this and is probably why Alton's recipe addresses it with the brine and steam. This was not strong at all. The orange juice brine and steam bath mellowed the flavor into a smooth and sweet treat with a crispy skin. I recommend it!

Back