Ducane stainless, is it worth repairing?

Greg Y

TVWBB Pro
Guys,
A friend gave me a Ducane stainless steel 5 burner grill. These were made by Weber in China and while I do like the stainless steel construction, it is no Genesis that's for sure.
It looks like this one:
http://www.bbqsource-forums.com/invboard/index.php?showtopic=8975
Let me start by saying that I will not keep this grill. I don't want it, I have no use for it as I have a Genesis EP320 with the E-W burners and rotisserie in dark green in nice shape.

Issues with grill:
Most of the snap jet igniter brackets that hold the electrode are rusted to the point of needing to be replaced (they no longer positively locate the electrodes). I can't find individual valves, but a whole new manifold with valves is $115 or so. The burners are in good shape, the flavorizers are OK but the rotisserie is missing and the IR rotisserie burner does not ignite, and neither do most of the main burners because of the aforementioned igniter bracket rust.

Should I scrap it or fix it and sell it? I can't see it being worth very much. If it was cheaper to fix, I'd fix it and give it to my brother.

Funny I have an EP320 also and a Ducane SS three burner that I got for free just needed a new regulator. Everything works on it and rotisserie had never been used. I'm dumping it because the actual cooking area is about 2/3 of the grate area because the controls are right up against the firebox so the burner tubes have three or four inches of solid tube going into the firebox before there is any flame.
It also has massive SS grates that will stick like glue to anything you cook no matter how much you oil them.
It's too bad because it's actually a nice grill, just has that Chinese materials and workmanship.
I've been watching Craig's List and mine is going for about $125 - 150 in good condition and mine is like new.

There is a big Ducane down at my hardware store. Looks like it's last years model, I think. Now, they want $299 for it. I'm not particularly interested but, does that seem like a pretty good deal? My brother should "upgrade" and just give me his greenie!

There is a big Ducane down at my hardware store. Looks like it's last years model, I think. Now, they want $299 for it. I'm not particularly interested but, does that seem like a pretty good deal? My brother should "upgrade" and just give me his greenie!

It's not a bad price and Weber still supports them to some degree and parts are available from other sources. But I'd rather buy a used genesis like my E320 for less and get a grill that will last a lot longer. My 17 year old 1000LX (now a 2000LX) is a better grill than the newer Ducane.

Back