Dry, No Foil Spares

Bob Mann

TVWBB Honor Circle
Most of this past year, I've been smoking spare ribs using the 3-2-1 (more like 2 1/2, 2, 1/2) method. The results have been great, but sometimes ya' just gotta change it up.
I did these ribs dry and did not foil them.

I St. Louis cut two racks of spare ribs. I slathered them with yellow mustard and coated them with my standard rib rub (sucralose, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper). I put in a little extra garlic powder, onion powder and salt as well as some cayenne powder.

I cooked them on my 22 1/2" WSM at around 250F, with some apple wood chunks mixed in. After about 2 hours, I started spritzing them with a mixture of apple juice and a little apple cider vinegar, about every 20 minutes. When they started to get dark, I started toothpick testing them for doneness. Continually opening up the WSM screws the temperature up, so I stayed with it. After about 7 hours, they were done.

They were moist, tender with a great bark, very tasty. With no sauce on them, you could really taste the pork flavor and the smoke. I'm kinda of liking them this way!

On the WSM.
98lj.jpg

Started spritzing.
rbmy.jpg

In progress.
qpon.jpg

Getting there.
pq6l.jpg

Done.
zmyu.jpg

Cut up.
skz6.jpg

Pot of ribs.
r2bw.jpg

Beer o' the day.
dl6q.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Those look good to go. I don't foil either Bob. I like the texture of the ribs a whole lot more when done like that. Then again I only like salt & pepper on my ribs. I like tasting the pork and the smoke.

Most of the time I don't foil my ribs or squirt any liquid on them. Temperature control insures a great end result. Yours look great. Nice job! I wish I could dip into that Pot 'O Ribs like a cookie jar!

Back