Dry curing beyond bacon

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Just taking a pulse on how many of you guys and gals do much charcuterie/salumi beyond bacon (yes, there's a world beyond bacon!) :)

I was all ready to dive into whole muscle and ground meat preparations a few years back, but got distracted by trying to become a cheese maker. That little detour didn't turn out so well, and I'm recently getting my interest in curing and fermenting meat back on track. Since I've got all the gear for sausage making, I'd like to try my hand at some traditional salamis, spanish chorizo, etc, etc. I'd also like to make some coppa, lomo, bresaola, guanciale, and more.

My plan for a dry curing setup will be to use the small wine fridge that was my cheese cave.....I've got the ability to do temp control on that, and I think I still have a humidity controller, too (though I may try to get by without any humidifying/dehumidifying devices to start since they will take up very precious space.) If anyone has delved deep into the Charcuterie Arts and has a top tip or three to share, I'm all ears. My recent success with fermenting some summer sausage has got my creative juices flowing again..... :)

I'll definitely use this forum to keep you all apprised of any success/failure I have!

R

Curing is simple. I do pastrami also. And even jerky sometimes.

Fermented meats are a whole different ball game.

Curing is simple. I do pastrami also. And even jerky sometimes.

Fermented meats are a whole different ball game.
Yep, totally concur, Martin. Though I've fermented beer, bread and cheese, fermented meat is a new and slightly scary venture. This weekend might be my first go with a batch of Spanish Chorizo. Just need to work out what I'm going to use as a fermentation chamber since that will need different environmentals than are currently going on with my coppa in the drying fridge. Cool thing is I think I can get this done with just gear that I've got here from other ventures. :)

R

Back