Dry Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all,

I did my first chicken on the WSM this weekend. I used close to a 6lb bird, which I butterflied, then rubbed with olive oil and a combination of leftover BRITU rub and Dinasour BBQ Cajun Foreplay. Anyway I smoked the chicken at around 250, for 6 hours to an internal temp of 174, and basted with apple juice at the halves. I used a combo of oak and maple for my smoke woods. Anyway, the dark meat came out good, but the white breast meat was very dry. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to keep the chicken moist when smoking. I'm wanting to try a whole turkey, but am a little leary know after my chicken results. Thanks.

HI Matt!

I am no expert on chicken, but I would say you cooked it much too long....especially if it was butterflied. 250? for 6 hours is too much. We normally cook our whole chickens at 225 and it takes only 4 hours.

Breast meat is finished at 160?...anything much higher and it will dry quickly.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the thoughts, I thought I read somewhere to cook chicken to 180. Next time I'll try smoking till 160 in the breast meat and see how it comes out. See ya.

Matt...

You probably DID hear where chicken is to be cooked to 180?..but that is a measure for the dark meat. Anything over 160 in the breast will be pretty dry.

That is why cooking a whole chicken or turkey can be tricky. It is also a great reason to slow cook them!

I agree with Pat that the 6 pound bird is probably a little big for smoking. That sounds like a stewing hen, great for chicken and dumplings. The size of the bird might also account for the longer cooking times for the dark vs. the white.
Another suggestion would be to try brining. Brining helps keep the white meat moist while allowing the dark meat to finish cooking, most people feel that it gives them a cushion.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Matt Hoyt:
[qb]I did my first chicken on the WSM this weekend. I used close to a 6lb bird...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You'll get a better result from a smaller bird. See Chicken Selection & Preparation for more info.

Regards,
Chris

Hey Chris, I made it in. Had to turn on the cookies like you said.
Just thought I'd chime in on the chicken deal. I cook them whole then take a pair of shears and cut off the breast at 160. Then let the rest of the bird go until it gets to 180.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back