Dry Brisket

I Marks

TVWBB Member
I just got a new 18.5" and made a small brisket (5-6 lbs.) for the first time using HH method. Pulled at 170 after cooking for 1.5 hours at 375 or so. Double-foiled and returned for 1.5 hours. Tested for doneness. Wasn't butter soft. Put in a cooler wrapped in a towel for 2 hours. Checked for doneness but still a little tough. Great bark and taste though. Why wasn't it like butter? I've cooked big packers on the old 18" in the same way with much better success. Did I overcook the smaller piece of meat??

Do some searches. You'll find you're hardly alone in dissatisfaction when it comes to smoking little bitty briskets or partial briskets. Give those to the Missus and let 'er braise 'em in the oven.

Just because the wsm isn't a big smoker doesn't mean you shouldn't start with a good candidate for smoking, at least a 10 lb. packer. I prefer 12-14lb. packers for my 18.5".

Regarding smoking FLATS, I know of a local joint that turns out some fine brisket, only smoking FLATS, but the guy's good, and every brisket I've seen them slice has appeared to be of decent size. Personally though, I'll only cook flats HH, and that's only larger ones that I happen to notice at a ridulously low price. I've only done a couple, back when I first got my smoker, and they were ok. I tried one little partial flat low-n-slow once since it was "reduced", just out of curiousity....Well, I won't be doing that again. I think I cooked it about 3 hrs/lb. before it ever got tender!!!! It was "fork tender", but dry as a cracker, too.

I know there are thousand of debates about high heat and low and slow. I have an 18 1/2 WMS and I always go low and slow, about 235 for a 10 pound +/- brisket. It usually takes about 10 hours to get the internal temp to 175, then I take it off, double wrap it in aluminum foil, add some Dr. Pepper of fruit juice, wrap it up and put it back on till the internal temp hits about 205. I then take it off and wrap it in towels and put in an Igloo Cooler for an hour or three, then slice what we are going to eat.

If you are in a hurry, I guess high heat cooking is good. I've never done it so I'm not a real candidate to answer your question. Only think I can suggest is take it off at some point mid-way through the cook, add some Dr. pepper or fruit juice and put it back on, wrapped in foil for the duration of the cook and see if that gives it the moisture you are looking for. I usually cook whole briskets also, which allows the fat to give it some juice that a flat is not getting.

Good luch, however.

Back