Dougherty's Wings

I eyeball it actually, but it's close to 50/50...I clip the tips, and season them in my kitchen sink. From there, they go to a ziplock bag and into the fridge.

Thanks, Tim.

50/50 was my ratio for my first one or two cooks but I think I like the ratio I used on my last cook better. More like only 1/3rd Old Bay. On the cook before, I got a couple of bites where the Old Bay was a bit overpowering. Perhaps just too heavy a hand with the seasoning on my part.

I've made these a bunch of times now, here are some tips:

- I've had luck with a different method. After the rub goes on I lay the wings in a single layer on the grate. If I run out of room, I double up a layer. Cook at 350-400 indirect for 20 minutes, flip the wings, leave on for another 20 minutes. Then, one by one, dip each wing into the sauce and put back on the grill. Fifteen minutes later, repeat. This cuts the cooking time to about an hour.

- Originally I made the recipe with grace jerk seasoning. This is pretty good and seems hotter than walkerswood.

- was thrilled to find walkerswood show up at our local grocery store. Overall, the recipe is better than with grace's.

- I always use 1/2 tsp of cayenne. just the right level of spiciness for us.

Originally posted by jeff davidson:
I've made these a bunch of times now, here are some tips:

- I've had luck with a different method. After the rub goes on I lay the wings in a single layer on the grate. If I run out of room, I double up a layer. Cook at 350-400 indirect for 20 minutes, flip the wings, leave on for another 20 minutes. Then, one by one, dip each wing into the sauce and put back on the grill. Fifteen minutes later, repeat. This cuts the cooking time to about an hour.

Jeff, thanks for the time-saving tip. I'll have to give it a try.

dave,

thanks for posting the original recipe. I've made it about 5 times now for friends and family and it always draws rave reviews.

I've also cooked it over direct heat, getting some nice grill marks in the beginning and then closing the lid on my kettle. This doesn't taste quite and good and you have to make sure the wings don't burn, but they're pretty great for a 45 min cook.

Yeah, I've been wanting to try a couple of things to speed up my wing cooks, and you beat me to it.

I usually cook a ton of 'em, so just laying 'em out on 3/4s of my kettle grate isn't an option. Of course, I could cook with two kettles at once, but I'm a charcoal miser and it's twice the trouble, anyway....and unfortunately, my treasurer, The Missus, says that the 26.75" kettle isn't an option now either.
icon_frown.gif

It was mentioned earlier that someone could not find old bay. I found a copycat over on about dot com

Yield: Makes about 1/4 cup
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon ground dried bay leaves
2 teaspoons celery salt
1-1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sweet or smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground celery seeds
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground mace
1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients and mix thoroughly. Store in an airtight container and store in a cool place. Use with seafood or chicken.

Tried this yesterday for the first time. The wings turned out awesome! Excited to finally have a good wing grilling recipe.

Photo%20Jul%2004%2C%206%2055%2041%20PM.jpg

Have done these a bunch of times and always great.

Has anyone done these on ribs? If so, suggestions? Thoughts?

So I'm all set to try these out for the first time tomorrow, and I have a simple question... after trimming and prepping the wings am I supposed to simply season each of the wings with Santa Maria and Old Bay before placing them on the grill?

Thats how I do it.
If I can let them sit in the rub for an extended period, I do.
Made them on NYE and they were as good as ever.
I always cut back on the salt.

Made these after having not made them in over a year. With a group who doesn’t like spicy, I pushed the brown sugar in the mop 2-3x. The group loved it. I prefer less sweet and more heat.
Nonetheless, this is still a great recipe for wings and just as a good on ribs!

Back