Dougherty's Wings

Picked up the Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning today from World Market. Took a little taste...it's gooooood.

Can't wait to try this recipe!

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Kevin Kruger contributed an excellent rendition, but the thread has disappeared from the forums.
I think you're referring to this. It was buried in the Barbecuing forum and I moved it to the Rubs forum.

Tri-Tip Rubs

Regards,
Chris

It's amazing what you find when you do a Google search
icon_biggrin.gif

Great job with the thread Dave.

Thanks, Tim, and thanks so much for putting your wing recipe and technique out there for others to enjoy! Gotta say it's a good one, ESPECIALLY to the non-chili-heads like my father-in-law.

Please let us know though if you've come up with a way to make your wings hot without taking away from the recipe. OK? Thanks again!

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Please let us know though if you've come up with a way to make your wings hot without taking away from the recipe. OK? Thanks again!

I think is someone wanted to spice them up a bit, it would be possible to add a bit of cayenne or the like to the combo of base rubs. You would just want to make sure it still worked with the Jerk in the baste, so you don't get a conflicting result.

I was thinking more of simply marinating the wings in the jerk seasoning prior to grilling, since the jerk works so well in your beer mop, anyway. What do you think?

You could certainly do that, but then you will not get the same base flavors that the SM and Old Bay provide. Not like that's a bad thing, just different. And like you said, it's more about the technique than the exact flavor profile. I happen to really like it as is, that's probably why I have been doing it that way for so many years...lol

Tim, I am very anxious to try your method. It makes good sense sense to me. I've put it on next week's menu plan. With our family of 3 adults plus 2 little guys, a week's "perfectly planned" menus seem to change daily. It will be nice to have something already on the grill with little attention required so that I'll have time to cook the sides in the last minute. "Dougherty's Wings" sounds like a Classic in the making if it isn't already one.

Rita

Originally posted by T Dougherty:
You could certainly do that, but then you will not get the same base flavors that the SM and Old Bay provide. Not like that's a bad thing, just different. And like you said, it's more about the technique than the exact flavor profile. I happen to really like it as is, that's probably why I have been doing it that way for so many years...lol

Tim, thanks again!

I'll report back here eventually after trying both ways: simply more cayenne as you suggested, and "Jerked-up Dougherty's Wings"....hopefully not "jacked-up".
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Tim, I am very anxious to try your method. It makes good sense sense to me. I've put it on next week's menu plan. With our family of 3 adults plus 2 little guys, a week's "perfectly planned" menus seem to change daily. It will be nice to have something already on the grill with little attention required so that I'll have time to cook the sides in the last minute. "Dougherty's Wings" sounds like a Classic in the making if it isn't already one.

Rita

I really hope your family likes them, please be sure to let us know
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Dave Russell:
Tim, thanks again!

I'll report back here eventually after trying both ways: simply more cayenne as you suggested, and "Jerked-up Dougherty's Wings"....hopefully not "jacked-up".
icon_smile.gif

I'm looking forward to your feedback.

These wings were such a hit with the wife and I, so I am doing them again tomorrow. I am prob. deviating from the recipe to much but I am going to turn up the heat on them just a little! I might marinade the wings or I might just sprinkle some Tony Chicacaris (wrong spelling for sure) on them before grilling them. I also have pork country style ribs marinading in walkers wood jerk overnight!
icon_eek.gif

We made these last night and they were great! A new favorite for sure! Great recipe and technique.

Originally posted by dean:
These wings were such a hit with the wife and I, so I am doing them again tomorrow. I am prob. deviating from the recipe to much but I am going to turn up the heat on them just a little! I might marinade the wings or I might just sprinkle some Tony Chicacaris (wrong spelling for sure) on them before grilling them. I also have pork country style ribs marinading in walkers wood jerk overnight!
icon_eek.gif

Deviating from the recipe is definitely acceptable, glad you enjoyed them.

Originally posted by Don Cash:
We made these last night and they were great! A new favorite for sure! Great recipe and technique.

Thank you, and thanks to Dave again for posting it here.

Well, I've been wanting to grill these again for WEEKS, and they were even better than last time!

The difference was that they had somewhat more heat, but thankfully not too much for our guests. Maybe making the mop up a little ahead of time let the jerk spice it up more? I also mopped a little more, more like every 25 minutes, and had the wings upside down for the latter 2/3rds of the cook since the mop seems to stay on 'em better that way. I'd say that the heat was just right, and even if cooking for folks that don't like spicy stuff, they'll still eat 'em cause they're so good.
icon_biggrin.gif

What would I do differently next time? I'll probably use a little less of the Old Bay and a little more of the Santa Maria seasoning (not half and half). By the way, I mixed up just a little Frank's HS and butter to try just for kicks so ya'll won't have to. It was a waste of a wing. These wings are best as they are with no sauce, and thanks again to Tim for such a great recipe!

If you have a kettle, you have GOT to try these!

This recipe is all the reason you need to have TWO Weber kettles and TWO bbq mops!

My parents don't like it too spicy, so I mopped one batch for them and the kids on my OTS with Tim's mop made up right before grilling.

However, the OTG had the spicy batch for my brother and sister-in-law, and myself. Made that mop up earlier in the afternoon and used a little more jerk seasoning in it. Might've mopped a time or two more, as well, making sure wings were upside down.
icon_wink.gif

Gotta say, this is probably my favorite thing to grill! BTW, for the seasoning, 2/1 Santa Maria to Old Bay worked great! Stick to the recipe and low and slow, because the skin gets tougher and you don't get to mop 'em as much if you cook 'em too quick! Every mopping just makes 'em better.
icon_smile.gif

Tim, meant to ask you about your ratio of SM to Old Bay. Two to one SM over Old Bay seemed to work good, but what do you do?

Thanks for posting your pics, and when I eventually start posting pics myself, I'll be sure to post some of mine. I will say that like anything grilled, they were much easier to cook before the time change and the days got so short!

Back