Doing my first rib cook on Saturday -- couple quick questions

JasonWilliams-CA

Hey Folks!
I am really excited to do my first (first ever rib cook to be honest) on my kettle this Saturday. I picked up some baby back ribs today.
I am excited but have a touch of nervousness as well.
Was hoping to ask a few bits of advice.

grill setup - I was going to ask, I plan to use my charcoal baskets that came with my kettle. Should I use one of them, put to the side? Or should I use both, pushed to the sides and put the ribs in the middle? I am leaning towards just using one basket on the side but thought I would ask.

how many briquettes to use - Something I am trying to figure out. Between the number of briquettes to use in my chimney and the number in the grill. Is there soe tips/tricks/advice on how to do this?

Just to make sure I understand properly. I am going to put briquettes into the basket (not completely full, but to account for briquettes in chimney). When the chimney is ready, I put the hot briquettes in in the open spot in the basket?

Should I put a foil drip pan under the ribs with some water in it? Since I do not have a slow n seer, I was wondering if this might be a good alternative for moisture and catch the drippings.

From what I have read, about 275 degrees is a good spot for low and slow ribs. When the chimney is ready and I dump the briquettes in, I need to let the kettle come up to temp. Should my vents be fully open? Should I try to configure them a bit before? Was a little unclear.

I think that is for now.
I am really looking forward to this on Saturday.
I plan to take a lot of pics and post them when I am done.

Thank you again!

Jason

I used a lot of this guys info, I find him really good with his how to videos. Only thing I do different is I use the snake method with a water pan under the ribs. They turn out fantastic! Hope it helps

Hi Jason, welcome from PA! I also use the Snake method when cooking L&S on the kettle, it works really well. I set mine up like in this video. No matter what method you end up using, yes, it’s a good idea to put foil or pan under the ribs for easier clean up.

Last edited:
Hi Jason, welcome from PA! I also use the Snake method when cooking L&S on the kettle, it works really well. I set mine up like in this video. No matter what method you end up using, yes, it’s a good idea to put foil or pan under the ribs for easier clean up.

I really like the snake method. I've done ribs and brisket with great results using the snake method

One of the best rib I‘ve kettle cooked was using a “Tip Top” temp controller. I was really impressed, it takes a little calculation but, nothing very complex. Great gizmo. Then I got a WSM and now it mostly sits in my “Grilling stuff” cabinet. I really should get it out and give it another shot. Pretty nifty.

I don't normally use my kettle for ribs but when I do it's the snake method. I set my bottom vent about 1/4 open and then adjust the top from there. You'll have to experiment with this. I got a 14 in WSM I stopped using the kettle.

I can add a water or drip pan underneath.

Thought i would share a quick update on my progress so far.
Ribs have been on a few hours. I think so far so good.
My temps have been about 250-270 with a probe on the grate. The weber temp is sitting right on 300 (slightly offset so it is not over the coals).

I think i have about another hour? Last temp I showed was in the mid 170s

first_ribs.jpg

So many things I have learned and thought about.
Now i need some sauce and sides. I will post another pic once I cut into them.

Cheers!

They look good. I assume you did not wrap these. How did they turn out?
I think they turned out pretty good. My family and I ate the whole slab.
I did not wrap. I was not sure if i should or not, so i just opted to not wrap.

In learning, I think they could have gone a tad longer, but the flavor was there.

Back