Doing my first ABTs tonight and somewhat confused need a little guidance

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
I did do my homework about ABTs but methods, ingredients and cooking temps are all over the map. Most of you seem to do yours on your WSMs at lower temps which would be wonderful if I had one. Of course I could use the mini, but my cook for tonight is going to be on the gasser sans smoke and run about an hour or so, longer is not a problem if needed.

My question is I just want to try a few with a little cream cheese and maybe some onion and garlic and of course bacon to see if the wife (not a big fan of a lot of heat) and I like them, so can I do them on the grill medium heat (300-325) or am I wasting my time?

As always thanks for your patience and any suggestions you might have.

EDIT

See results below.

Last edited:
Rich this is what I would suggest, but I'm no expert. I have cooked ABT indirect on my performer so you don't need a WSM. The cook is a balance of getting the bacon to a crisp that you and enjoy and not destroying any of the other ingredients. Honestly the highest I would go is 250, but that is me and maybe you're able to do it at a higher temp. Of course I add wood for the flavor, IMO nothing captures the taste of smoke like cheese does. I've also heard of people using sweet peppers for those who don't like the heat.

I have done ABT's on gasser or kettle though I prefer WSM. Biggest thing is getting bacon done but not to fast to destroy your wonderful filling. If it was me I would go low at first to get jalapeno/cream cheese warmed then at the very end go direct to crisp up bacon.

I make mine with 1/2 jalapeno, cream cheese, little smokey then wrapped in bacon....

I guess I'm a little different on how I cook mine. I usually do mine on the kettle indirect though I have done them on the gasser before. Honestly I am always cooking something else with them which usually requires higher heat. So mine are defintly done at higher temperatures. The only time I did them on a gasser it took a lot longer then usual but my gasser isn't a Weber. I'm going to have to do them on the WSM to see what I'm missing out on. Ohh and my wife doesn't like heat or the texture of peppers but likes my ATBs.

Last edited:
I've done them on my kettle (indirect). I don't worry about the temp, I just pull them when the bacon is done to the crispness I prefer.

Rich;
Just do them on the gasser INDIRECT and you'll be fine. Watch the bacon -when it's done to your preference, the ABT's are done. I often do them on my OTG, indirect, and the gasser will work just the same.

Dale53

Thanks to all for your help. Will post in the AM with a couple of pictures. Off to the grill I go, wish me luck.

Don't worry you got it. They are pretty simple and you will become addicted to them (at least I did).

I've done 250 for 1 hour on my WSM. After that, just look at the bacon and pull them off when you see the perfect crispy look you like most. Total time was 1.5 hours but I also had made 120 of them at once for my son's hockey team. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks again to all of your responses. I took a little of what everybody said and they came out great! I fired up the performer and assigned it to the main course and used the gasser for the ABTs, just easier to control the temps with it. Cooked at 250-275 for an hour and 15 minuets, then ramped it up to 350 for about 20 minuets to finish the bacon.
All I can say is I am hooked, even Barb who doesn’t really like anything spicy loved them. (See the hand snatching another one even as I was taking the picture).
Can't wait to try some smoked.
Good Stuff!!!

abt001_zpseb08d5c3.jpg

abt002_zpsbe7dec5d.jpg

ABTs002_zps5f2e86d6.jpg

ABTs005_zps596ad277.jpg

Thanks for stopping by

Hey Rich, I started to post this last night but I figured you had already done them.
You may know this but you can vary the heat (spice) on the Jalapeno's just by how much seeds and inner membrane you leave in them. If you want more heat, leave some seeds and membrane. Less heat, less seeds and membrane. When I say membrane, I mean the whitish edges where the seeds are in the middle (probably not a good description). I have done them where they really were not spicy at all after cooking. I use a knife edge to scrape the insides down to just pepper. Doing it that way you can vary the spice for each persons liking

Anyway, congrats on the success, they look great

Rick that’s exactly what I did no seeds or membrane and they were very mild even Barb was surprised and said a little heat would be good. Just so happens our Daughter is coming out today from California and is going to stay with us a few days. She likes spicy things so I'm making up another batch for tonight and will play a little with the heat and see how it goes.

Rick that’s exactly what I did no seeds or membrane and they were very mild even Barb was surprised and said a little heat would be good. Just so happens our Daughter is coming out today from California and is going to stay with us a few days. She likes spicy things so I'm making up another batch for tonight and will play a little with the heat and see how it goes.

I have seen posts on here where people have soaked the jalapeño in sprite to mellow them out. I remove the seeds and membrane also, but some of those jalapenos can still bring some heat....but I like the heat.

one thing you might find helpful is years ago someone suggested getting the thinnest cut bacon because it's easier to stretch around the pepper. I've only made ABTs twice and had them another time or two at a friends', so I'm not the expert, but anyway..... Those always look so good but I never make them!

ditton tony and bill. low and slow, indirect using one or two burners at the most.

core your japalenos from the seeds and all veins, they should not be very hot. yes to all ingredient combos you mentioned! !

bbq is all about experimenting and learning what works. I "had to burn ribs to learn ribs". go with your gut instincts, and grab a frosty or two. last, post pics!

don't lift the lid...

I guess I'm of a different opinion than most here.

I go indirect on the kettle at about 400 degrees for 30 or so minutes. I like the bacon to get good and crispy. Plus an hour or more makes the jalapeños too wrinkly for my liking.

As long as you like the end result, I think any way described here works.

Last edited:
Another thing i like to do is core them like everyone says then use the seeds in the cream cheese mixture to help spread out the heat. I have also been known to put a sliver of habenero in the bottom of a couple just so i can sit back and watch people's faces on whoever gets the "lucky" ones :)

Back