Does foiling ruin bark?

Marty M.

TVWBB Member
I have never foiled during the smoking process and I have never thought I needed to in regards to the texture (but, maybe that's because I don't know that foiling might make the ribs or butt even better). I have been wondering, though, does wrapping the ribs, butt, brisket, etc. in foil soften the bark since the meat is essentially steaming during that process?

Hi Marty!
I do not foil ribs, butt BUTT and Brisket I do.
I believe it's essential to foil butt & brisket.
Soften the bark?? No.
Possibly, on ribs it might...
I foil butts once the internal temp hits 200'F or so then foil tight and store in a dry cooler for at least an hour. I've stored it up to 4 hours.
Excellent Every Time!
icon_smile.gif

HTH.

Thanks for your reply Jim!

Exactly why is it essential to foil butts and brisket?

Also, do you add anything hot to the cooler like foil-wrapped, heated bricks to keep the temperature above 140 degrees F or do you just rely on the residual heat from the butt or brisket?

"Exactly why is it essential to foil butts and brisket?"
to finish the cookin' process... the juices will re-distribute themselves and keep the meat from drying out. I ain't talking about using the TexCrutch... i do not use that method, adding juices, broth, beer or wines...
Nothing is added to my dry cooler, 'cept maybe a towel over the top.
Read up more here...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Lampe:
"Exactly why is it essential to foil butts and brisket?"
to finish the cookin' process... the juices will re-distribute themselves and keep the meat from drying out. I ain't talking about using the TexCrutch... i do not use that method, adding juices, broth, beer or wines...
Nothing is added to my dry cooler, 'cept maybe a towel over the top.
Read up more here... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

]Thanks for the great link Jim !!!!

Man , Ilove this site. You just put a name to the method I have been using on my ribs for years ! The Texas Crutch !!

I agree that foiling after taking the meat off the smoker is a very good thing. I should have been clearer - I was referring more to foiling during the cooking process. Thanks for your help Jim!

Marty, you can foil and still get a nice bark by removing from the foil and finishing the meat on the smoker or grill.

Let me rephrase that. You get the bark during the initial cooking. Then foil. Then remove foil and firm the bark back up at the end.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave W (Demosthenes9):
Marty, you can foil and still get a nice bark by removing from the foil and finishing the meat on the smoker or grill.

Let me rephrase that. You get the bark during the initial cooking. Then foil. Then remove foil and firm the bark back up at the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your insight Dave and welcome to the board!

Just to let you know a little about me, um, I like barbecue, I love America, oh, and I have ESP. Based solely on your reply to this thread, I sense you like to get great deals on things and you like to debate things like politics.

I hope I'm right because I just got my crystal ball back from Professor Marvel's Repair Shop.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marty M.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dave W (Demosthenes9):

Let me rephrase that. You get the bark during the initial cooking. Then foil. Then remove foil and firm the bark back up at the end. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for your insight Dave and welcome to the board!

Just to let you know a little about me, um, I like barbecue, I love America, oh, and I have ESP. Based solely on your reply to this thread, I sense you like to get great deals on things and you like to debate things like politics.

I hope I'm right because I just got my crystal ball back from Professor Marvel's Repair Shop. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm, how does that song go ??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">its a small world after all
its a small world after all
its a small world after all
its a small, small world
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have been known to debate politics every now and then
icon_smile.gif

Personally I always foil my ribs for about an hour. It seems to help tenderize the meat some. But I finish unfoiled for about 30-45 minutes to firm up the bark. I've always been happy with my bark on ribs.

Butts I do not foil (until the rest). I did a few times but butts are so full of fat that if you foil it can really ruin the bark on the bottom of the butt where all those juices collect. Still, I think you could do the same with them and finish unfoiled to firm the bark.

I just did a brisket yesterday and it came out great. I foiled when it hit 167 and let it cook for 3 more hours until it was fork tender. Brisket's I think definitely benefit from the foil. My bark was spectacular even with 3 hours in the foil.

Foiling during smoking will prevent further bark formation but will not ruin what has been established. It will soften it, but in some cases that may be desirable, and it can easily be firmed back up by roasting. Also, foiling will stop the meat from coloring, which is desirable as well, because blackened meat is not attractive (IMO).

I feel bark is a positive asset of good bbq, but it needs to be managed (dryness and color), and it can't be your only focus. I'm not going to sacrifice tip to tip tenderness and moistness (and speed) for the sake of perfect bark, but that's me.

Foiling is a tool, just like the wsm, when used properly it will make your job easier and increase the likelihood that you will be satisfied with your results. I currently own quite a few power tools for wood working, could I do without some and do the same jobs? sure, but why should I if I have them at my finger tips?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
Foiling during smoking will prevent further bark formation but will not ruin what has been established. It will soften it, but in some cases that may be desirable, and it can easily be firmed back up by roasting. Also, foiling will stop the meat from coloring, which is desirable as well, because blackened meat is not attractive (IMO).

I feel bark is a positive asset of good bbq, but it needs to be managed (dryness and color), and it can't be your only focus. I'm not going to sacrifice tip to tip tenderness and moistness (and speed) for the sake of perfect bark, but that's me.

Foiling is a tool, just like the wsm, when used properly it will make your job easier and increase the likelihood that you will be satisfied with your results. I currently own quite a few power tools for wood working, could I do without some and do the same jobs? sure, but why should I if I have them at my finger tips? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks a lot for that insight. That makes sense. I'm happy with my results with my ribs and shoulders, but I think I might give foiling during the smoking process a try with a shoulder some time. Thanks again.

Back