Does anyone use an induction burner?

JohnTak

TVWBB Pro
I was watching a YouTube guy named Jon Kung, he has been using induction burners for a while and loves them. Says they are great for wok cooking. Any thoughts or experiences?

I have used induction for a while now in my brewery. The brewery is in the laundry room because I have access to 220v, a sink, and water there. There was not access to a heat source.

The only thing is to ensure the pots/pans you will use are conductive. If they’re not they won’t work and IMO it’s not worth replacing everything just to go induction.

I've tinkered with a 120v single hob induction cooktop. It certainly has it's attractions, as already noted above. I'd be a little concerned about using a wok with the increased coupling distance, but rather obviously, it does work. I have family members who've installed full induction ranges and just love them.

There are definite safety advantage to the induction cooking, such as no flames, and a [mostly] cool cooktop.

I've been meaning to get one. There was a recent thread about them but I can't find it.
My BIL installed a cooktop. He's getting forgetful in his old age and they did it for safety.

We inherited a Bosch induction cooktop in the home we recently moved in to, having had gas cooktops in our two previous homes. It works great, it just takes a bit of getting used to how it works. It brings water to a boil super fast! I did have to pass along a couple of really nice non-magnetic pans to family members. :(

Yeah, if the dark powers every make us give up appliances that work induction would be the only way I'd go. Cannot stand electric ranges
I know everyone is hooked on gas ranges because that's what everyone knows, but I'm seeing lots of advantages with my induction cooktop. Very fast heating, quite responsive when increasing/decreasing the temp level, a smooth surface that's a breeze to clean after grease splatter or rice boil over (no burner parts to scrub, no nooks and crannies around burners getting gunked up), and better indoor air quality. Yes, pricy but that should come down over time with increased popularity. Yes, this one requires a 240v connection, so that can be a limitation. And yes, a big NO to old-school electric cooktops!

The big downside that I see to induction cooktops is the glass surface. We did have an infrared electric range for the first few years we owned this house, but I did chip and shatter the single hob induction cooktop. That's really my biggest concern is how fragile those can be, and I use a lot of cast iron cookware. The range space is is stubbed out for both natural gas (with it's 120v connection) as well as a 240v connection for full-on electric. I have the best of both worlds in that regard. Having said all of that, I've been back on gas for the first time since I moved out of the farmhouse 40+ years ago, and I'm quite enjoying it.

I was watching a YouTube guy named Jon Kung, he has been using induction burners for a while and loves them. Says they are great for wok cooking. Any thoughts or experiences?

I have a cheap induction burner used pretty well only for searing fish and deep frying things outside. I detest some cooking odors that hang around the house when going for that heavy sear - blackened fish, the lingering smell of deep (or shallow) frying....

So, I just set up the little induction burner outside the back door and all is good!

Well if they ever became affordable and I wanted one, I already have the 240 in the kitchen because our old range was a Bosch Dual fuel

The big downside that I see to induction cooktops is the glass surface. We did have an infrared electric range for the first few years we owned this house, but I did chip and shatter the single hob induction cooktop. That's really my biggest concern is how fragile those can be, and I use a lot of cast iron cookware. The range space is is stubbed out for both natural gas (with it's 120v connection) as well as a 240v connection for full-on electric. I have the best of both worlds in that regard. Having said all of that, I've been back on gas for the first time since I moved out of the farmhouse 40+ years ago, and I'm quite enjoying it.

I grew up using a gas cooktop but haven't had one since college. I do miss it. I can't stand how slow electric ranges are to respond. I'm intrigued by induction and maybe when my current range gives up the ghost I'll try to convince my wife to make the switch.

I grew up using a gas cooktop but haven't had one since college. I do miss it. I can't stand how slow electric ranges are to respond. I'm intrigued by induction and maybe when my current range gives up the ghost I'll try to convince my wife to make the switch.
I spent a lot of time with the traditional electric coil stoves, basically '94 until '09. The first few years (after '09) in this house was with an infrared electric. The infrared was better at delivering heat now rather than waiting for the coil, but still less than desirable, IMO, with the additional risk of the glass/ceramic top. Neither compares to a gas stove, IMO. My g/f had to more or less beat me up to replace a perfectly good stove (infrared) with a gas stove, and I haven't regretted it. Yes, the old stove went to a good home.

Having said all of this, yeah, if I have to replace this stove, pried from my cold, dead fingers, would be an induction stove.

Edit: wait a sec.... scratch '94, back date that to '82 when I moved out of the dorms. Missed.... um..... 4 different apartments.

Last edited:
We bought a used glass top range several years ago and one of the big burners went out
Unlike a regular electric stove, you can’t replace a single burner
So we bought a single burner induction one to set on the stove top to replace it
It works great! We just have to make sure it’s magnetic so it’ll work

We recently replaced our old electric range and oven with a LG induction cooktop and a convection oven and really like both. The old oven had such insulation issues that you could use the adjacent counters for warming, it seemed. We love it, it was past time…..

Back