Does anyone have one of these??

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe S.:
Here was my setup. I cut and extra lid and used food grate from my smokenator to get the pizza up a little higher. I love cooking pizza on cast iron. Took about 4 minutes took. I perfer my kettle pizza more than my ceramic but I'm going to work on my pizza in my ceramic grill.
Don't mind my bad cut job on the lid. I'll stick to my day job.
IMAGE_146.jpg
IMAGE_150.jpg

IMAGE_122.jpg
IMAGE_145.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think your pies look great Joe. I have an extra lid I am going to cut like you did. Did you put the pie on the pre heated cast iron?

Thanks Shaun. That pizza was actually cooked on a metal pan. I have a square cast iron griddle and those pizza turn out beter. I don't preheat my cast iron.
Although I just used my new enameled coated stone and it gave a great crispy bottom and chewy middle. I preheated my stone in the oven when I start making rolling out the dough. This way once I liht the charcoal and get pizza ready stone is ready. Worked great that way. I still want to buy a 14 in cast ron pan. I was thinking of this one. I would put on the grill and slide epizza on and off.
http://www.charbroil.com/patio...le-with-handles.html

Here is where I got the idea.
http://webercam.com/2009/06/we...-firedome-pizza.html

I use one of my OT's. Usually just on the cooking grate. Have used a stone a couple times but prefer directly on the grate - get that little bit of bottom char. No problems - 4 or 5 minutes direct, flip, add my toppings, move indirect after another 3 or 4 minutes. About 10 minutes later I have great pizza.

I use the same exact method as Robert McGee. . Two fire brick and a pizza stone. Must be a southern Ohio thing. 2nd try last night on the grill and it worked like a champ.
I don't know what my temps were, but used a whole starter of charcoal and the ol' weber was pumping out some serious heat.

Les Stubby

Joe, nice setup. I have an extra lid, my buddy owns a body shop, I will have him use hi seqipment, I think its a plasma gun to get a nice clean cut and I'll probably pain the edges with hh paint to protect it form rusting. I will use it in conjuction with my bricks and large green egg stone, which is awsome.

Interesting. Why would he rotate the pizza so often? Does the burner, lid, or stone heat unevenly? You're losing quite a bit of heat, lifting the lid. A nice-looking result, though.

Rita

The stone in mine is upwards of 700 degrees--a 16" pizza takes 3 minutes--rotate every minute--that just keeps the crust from burning--it still stays hot enough with 50K BTU burner going on the bottom.

I've shown my set up on here before. It's quite simple and works VERY well:

PizzaStoneSetUp-1210_1600x1200.jpg

About as good as it gets!

Dale53

Total Newbie here so please excuse my inexperienced question. So the pizza stone is elevated on 2 fire bricks and you preheat the stone with the lid on correct? Is your lid also cut with an opening to slide in the pizza like the Pizzakettle or do you just take off the lid and slide the pizza on and just put the lid back on and check it occasionally until it's done?

From what I've read they can do a great pizza, but it takes a good bit of modifications to get there. Seriouseats.com has a write up on what they did to get it cooking somewhat similar to a WFO.

It's never, ever gonna turn out pizzas like a real Neapolitan WFO will, but you can probably get close with something that costs 1/100 of the price.

Total Newbie here so please excuse my inexperienced question. So the pizza stone is elevated on 2 fire bricks and you preheat the stone with the lid on correct? Is your lid also cut with an opening to slide in the pizza like the Pizzakettle or do you just take off the lid and slide the pizza on and just put the lid back on and check it occasionally until it's done?

I have mine elevated on bricks and just take the kid on and off.

Christine;
I just dump one chimney full of lit Kingsford Original, spread it evenly on the grate. I put the lid on and pre-heat the pizza stone (elevated) then lift the lid to add the pizza and replace the lid. Every pizza seems to take 8 minutes or so and it's done. It is perfectly heated, top and the bottom finish at the same time. I can do pizzas almost continuously. The last time I did four or five. Pizza parties are FUN!

Dale53

I forgot to add this, but from what I've read is that the biggest problem with pizza on a kettle isn't the stone that the pizza is cooking on itself, but the top heat. You want the top heat to be as high as possible all while not allowing the bottom stone to become so hot as to scorch the pizza instantly, and that's why having another stone above the one that it is cooking on help so much, but only if you can get it to heat up at all. A lot of tough stuff to work around but there are a whole lot of people who have hacked their way to some good looking pies from what I've read all over the internet.

The good thing about pizza is that even when it's not great, it's still usually tasty. Bread, sauce, and cheese is hard to make inedible if you ask me. :cool:

I like your outdoor brick oven Phil. It reminds me of the brick grill and oven that my grandpa built in the early 50's. We cooked a lot of good stuff on that. But never thought to try pizza on it way back then. If I find an extra kettle lid I will cut the slot into it for pizza.
Why buy that when you can build this? I can grill and make pizza!
icon_razz.gif

Back