Does anyone have one of these??

I don't need one. I elevate my stone on a rib rack, preheat the stone. Add the dough for about two minutes, flip, load then cook for about 6-8mins more. Works great.

Not worth the money.
icon_mad.gif

Looks cool but I think I agree with Wayne K. Probably not worth the $$$. I use the the elevated stone method like Dave. Best Pizza I've ever had! I read somewhere that the kettle pizza uses a lot of charcoal.

I have been debating this for a while and just can't justify spending that much money on it. If it were half the price yes but for $140 no way. Add to that the cost of a good stone and you are close to $200. I have always just cooked my pizza right on the grate but am going to pick up a stone soon and use fire bricks to elevate the stone up.

Phil- I like the pizza oven. That is on my list of projects to do before I croak.

Ryan, hold off on the croaking too soon. We're depending on you to help us perfect our pizzas! This is a group effort!

I too am using 2 layers of fire bricks staggered under the Lodge cast-iron 14" pizza pan or a traditional stone in my older Genesis gas grill. Results are pretty good, but I'm not quite getting the spotty charring on the tops of the crusts that I'm looking for.

The trouble is that the angle of the front of the Genesis lid limits how high I can raise the Lodge or a stone and still be able to close the lid. If I could just get another 2 or 3 inches in height, I think I'd get what I'm looking for, but then I couldn't fully close the lid.

I have a couple of things in the back of my mind that I still want to try. Stay tuned.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ryan, hold off on the croaking too soon. We're depending on you to help us perfect our pizzas! This is a group effort! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't worry Rita. I'm only 40 I just have too many projects in line before the pizza oven.

Interesting. If I didn't have a ceramic I'd pick-up the 22.5 basic and give her a try.

Here was my setup. I cut and extra lid and used food grate from my smokenator to get the pizza up a little higher. I love cooking pizza on cast iron. Took about 4 minutes took. I perfer my kettle pizza more than my ceramic but I'm going to work on my pizza in my ceramic grill.
Don't mind my bad cut job on the lid. I'll stick to my day job.
IMAGE_146.jpg
IMAGE_150.jpg

IMAGE_122.jpg
IMAGE_145.jpg

I give the guy credit for following through on his idea to bring it to reality. If it was just a little less costly and he could still earn a fair profit, I think that more would sell. It does look interesting at the very least.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob H.:
I give the guy credit for following through on his idea to bring it to reality. If it was just a little less costly and he could still earn a fair profit, I think that more would sell. It does look interesting at the very least. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree. If it was cheaper I would buy even though mysetup works really good. I keep hoping for the kettle caddy to come to the U.S.

I found one on Craigslist a couple months back. I've used it 3-4 times and I love it. Especially after putting a grate on the top portion and laying firebricks atop it. Also, it is a noce complement to the Red Sky stone.

Joe S- I love how you cut out the lid of a kettle to make your own. Your pies look great.

I have had one for perhaps a year. I too agree it is overpriced (it is like a piece of sheet metal), but I got to say it works well. I use it weekly, and make consistently excellent pies.

Well the problem with doing pizzas in the kettle isent the heat. But the lack of radiant heat. Thats why putting the pizza higer in the dome is a great way to start. And if you add a Pizza stone with good thermal mass you could make many pies in a row. But i have done em every thinkable way. Everything from the grate only to the shimney bricks,fire bricks and then the Pizza stone. The stone is ofcourse the most solid way. But even on the top grate in a wsm running @ 325-350 works good.

Its not like we can replicate the napolian 90 sec pizza.

Back