Does anybody not use Minion Method?

J. Wilson

TVWBB Fan
And I mean when cooking say ribs or pork butt...or brisket.

Has anyone used The Standard Method mentioned here

How long (roughly) does the WSM stay in the 225-250 range?

I know there are some that have used the high heat method for ribs. I use the Minion method and I've gotten 6 hours at 250° with 3/4 ring unlit and 15 lit KBB. I don't know if that was what you were asking.

I don't use the minion method, I generally have done high heat (>275f). I get long cooks no problem. I use air/vents to control the temp. I don't wait until it's ashed over, so maybe I have used the minion method...but not intentionally. (I have nothing against it).

X2... except 100%. Try both... see what you like. I did a long time ago. Minion Method hands down!!!
It gives you so much fire control.

I use Minion exclusively on all my smokers. It's all I know. I don't know about KBB, but with lump packed in right I believe my record is around 15hrs. With the Primo around 30hr and the viking a little over 24.

For ribs i use the standard method. i cook them at 275° and I'll get plenty of time for ribs. For long cooks i use minion method.

I admit that I have only used the minion method. What are you trying to achieve? I feel that you an get a long cook at that temp using the minion method without water in the pan.

Minion, with a full load of KBB I can get up to 16 hours at 220-235 (depending on wind/weather) in the 22" WSM.

I use the tin can Minion method on all of my long smokes using an empty (but foiled) water pan. I get consistent results so know what to expect. It makes life much simpler and BBQ more pleasant (more pleasure, less work:cool:).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Tin can minion here too. I've tried the standard for ribs but ended up with parts of the ribs burnt. Even if I foil the edges. I have used the snake method too but sometimes I get too lazy to set it up.

Jon;
I have the two smaller WSM's so learned early to use a rib rack. When I first started smoking, I left the rib racks full length. I ended up with overcooked ends on the ribs. I took flack over it from the CEO. I started cutting my rib racks in half and using Brinkman Rib Racks. Voila, no more overcooked ends of rib racks. My ribs instantly became evenly cooked from end to end.

I generally foil my ribs (when the bark is set) as per Harry Soo's recipe and technique. I remove the rib racks and just stack the foiled ribs on the smoker (at that point the smoker just becomes an oven, in effect, and trying to put foiled ribs back in a rib rack is an exercise in frustration. Further, there is no need to as the foiled ribs cook evenly in the foil. After the ribs are done (when they reach the proper tenderness as per YOUR standards) you have the option of saucing and putting the rib racks back in the smoker to set the sauce. I typically just sauce after I remove the ribs and let the residual heat set the sauce. If you want to add another layer of flavor, you can also sauce the ribs, then put them on a hot grill to set the sauce quickly (and char just a bit) and remove, let rest for a few minutes, then serve.

As you might gather from the above, I am a BIG fan of rib racks and do not do my ribs any other way. If you spray the rib racks before using with Webers Grill Spray they are very easy to clean up, too (at least my Brinkman racks are).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Minion, with a full load of KBB I can get up to 16 hours at 220-235 (depending on wind/weather) in the 22" WSM.

Up to 16 hours? Wow!! My 22" WSM leaks despite my attempts to improve the center section roundness and lid fit and laziness to request a warranty exchange. I can manage up to 10 hours (220-240F) with a full load of KO and a minion start.

Like others, I use minion for L&S. I have not tried HH brisket yet and minion is N/A for chicken.

I've yet to try the tin can MM but it does seem worth a try. I use MM for just about everything. The only HH cook I've done this far is for chicken which for me works well. I do want to try the HH method for brisket and pork butt.

Up to 16 hours? Wow!! My 22" WSM leaks despite my attempts to improve the center section roundness and lid fit and laziness to request a warranty exchange. I can manage up to 10 hours (220-240F) with a full load of KO and a minion start.
Like others, I use minion for L&S. I have not tried HH brisket yet and minion is N/A for chicken.
If you completely close all three intake vents (exhaust vent open 100%) what temperature does your WSM run at ?

Back