does air pressure effect the bbq

Sandy Mac

i was smoking ribs at the weekend doing 321 method and i had the two level in my 14.5 wsm going it held its temp no prob about 3 hrs later i lit my kettle and the briquettes ashed over i left the kettle for about 40 mins but when putting some rib eyes on i noticed they were not searing as well as would have likes ie no charring more a broiling effect, i had to finish them off on a skillet indoors as it seemed the kettle had ran out of heat,i should say the kettle lid was open so max air was available ,any ideas lads regards the mad jock

they were bricks from aldi i have used them umpteen times no probs ,but as it grew darker i could quite clearly see the coals glowing red, but def no heati could hold my hand about 3 inches of the grate to no effect and my grate thermometer was reading in about 230

I like a grill HOT when I sear. Simply dumping in a lit chimney of coals and spreading evenly over the whole charcoal grate does not give me what I desire in the way of heat. I use a couple of fire bricks to separate the the coals from the rest of the grill creating a genuine two level fire. Putting a whole chimney of lit on just one side raises the coals up towards the food grate and gives me the temperature I desire:

It also works extremely well when I cook indirect (this chicken is cooking indirect, then will finish over direct):

YMMV
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
yes the lid was off all the time and the fire was set for indirect cooking, just didnt seem to want to raise temp, the pic with the steaks grilling was similar to my fire situation

Back