Do you use the lid for steaks?

Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Cook direct with the lid on. I like my steak rare so no worries about over searing the outside. If anyone wants it cooked more than medium
icon_rolleyes.gif
I throw on a burger for them, I'm not ruining good steak.
icon_wink.gif

I'm with ya, or might even prefer mine a little bloodier, unless you're talkin' about a ribeye; ribeyes have more fat & connective tissue that I prefer to at least warm up (med+).

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Well caramelized, yes. Black - from flare-ups or too long in direct heat, no. I dislike the bitterness.

After you mentioned it yes....I get some bitterness. I did a ribeye tonight, direct heat, lid on lots of smoke...bitterness was there..off to the drawing board.....

Originally posted by Jeff Powers:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Well caramelized, yes. Black - from flare-ups or too long in direct heat, no. I dislike the bitterness.

After you mentioned it yes....I get some bitterness. I did a ribeye tonight, direct heat, lid on lots of smoke...bitterness was there..off to the drawing board..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the smoke was most likely the culprit - what brand did you choose?

Originally posted by Clint:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Powers:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:

After you mentioned it yes....I get some bitterness. I did a ribeye tonight, direct heat, lid on lots of smoke...bitterness was there..off to the drawing board..... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

the smoke was most likely the culprit - what brand did you choose? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Publix lump (cowboy??)....wasn't smoking too much before the addition of the wonderfully marbled steak.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I agree with you Kevin. There is a big difference between a seared steak(nice dark brown crust) and a scorched(bitter, black, chard crust)I usually get my grill set up with a 2 zone fire so after it's seared if it needs a little more cook time I can move it over,still not indirect though.

Lid on now (didn't used to).

The bitterness from flare ups can be very bitter, lid on seems to prevent flare ups.

I watched AB's porterhouse show the other day, I really want to try his Chimney broiler method.

I've heard a rule of thumb that if the cut is thicker than your hand then you should keep the lid closed. Maybe Raichlen? I'm not sure where you are Joel, but this time of year in PA, I keep the lid down on everything because of the cold.

The way I look at it is that the lid is there for a reason. If it is not used, you might as well be using a $5 hibachi. Some times I will start the steak over hot coals for1 minute each side with the lid off, but the the lid goes on and the grate is rotated to the lower level of coals side fo the grill.

Restaurants don't use lids, why do backyard grillers? With the lid on you're grilling and baking. Build a 3 zone fire, hot/medium/no heat. That way you can sear the meat on the HH, cook mostly on medium heat and move to no heat if you get a flare up.

Mike I disagree. You are still getting the benefits of the grill with the lid on that you wouldn't get in an oven. Lids prevent the flare ups by lowering oxygen. It is not feasible at a restaurant because they are cooking many different orders at once. And if it is a flat top steak there is no potential for flare ups.

Also, you can probably agree that you can make a better steak than a lot of restaurants.

I can make some tasty steaks for sure....I've also burnt a few learning to cook with charcoal as well,lol
icon_cool.gif

I like the fun aspects of playing with fire, dealing with the odd flare up, etc.

Originally posted by Clint:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jeff Powers:

the smoke was most likely the culprit - what brand did you choose? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd venture to say that no matter what brand is used, ribeyes that spend too much time over direct heat, with the lid on or not, are not gonna taste as good as ones that are finished indirectly. Just my .02 cents, though.

I usually build a two zone fire divided by fire bricks. On one side the coals are piled very high to get alot of heat, on the other side is a foil drip pan (I use this method for steak and chicken). I toss a hunk or two of oak on the hot side and cook the steaks indirect with the cover on. After about ten minutes I remove the cover sear the steaks over hot side. I let them rest for five minutes and then enjoy. I find this yields a medium rare steak with a nice crust on the outside.

Bill

Cool tip, Bill. I've never tried a reverse sear on steaks. I've got a few fire bricks, so I'll have to remember to throw a couple in next time.

Lid for sure, but my question is: whenever I see "traditional" tri tip cooks they do it over the open fire, no lid. usually with the ability to lower/raise the meat via pulley. Why are they able to go w/out lid...b/c they can lower/raise?

Why are they able to go w/out lid...b/c they can lower/raise?
Yes.

Of course one can go without a lid, regardless. But then care must be taken so that the outside will not overcook before the inside cooks enough, and so that flare-ups don't ruin the exterior of the tri.

Here's a question for the reverse-sear crowd: how do you get a feel for doneness when you're cooking to finish over high heat with the lid on? It seems a lot easier to me to sear first, then cook to done on the cooler side while the temperature is climbing more slowly. Or is there some benefit I'm missing?

Originally posted by Jon Des.:
Here's a question for the reverse-sear crowd: how do you get a feel for doneness when you're cooking to finish over high heat with the lid on? It seems a lot easier to me to sear first, then cook to done on the cooler side while the temperature is climbing more slowly. Or is there some benefit I'm missing?

A lot of folks will simply use their probe therm and simply pull about 10 degrees shy of target temp. Then heat up the fire and sear.

Back