Do you use the lid for steaks?

Well who was first? you tell me!

Im not running a history lesson here im adding info that might be interesting to a fellow tvwbb member.

I know. My point (admittedly unclear) is that it's been around a long time - I'm sure long before me - and referred to by different people different ways. Jon may have (or may in the future) see it referenced by another name (or no name), in recipes, techniques or posts and he'll then know it's the same approach being referred to.

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Jon here is some info that you might find interesting: Reverse-sear

So that guy invented the reverse sear, huh? A lot of us have been doing it just as long. Maybe he doesn't read TVWB. Or maybe he does...?

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh he reads and posts here
icon_smile.gif

He's a good guy though.

Very interesting. Thanks guys. I read Kevin's post on the enzymatic reasons it works for beef, and I look forward to trying it. So I guess my next question is for what meats or cuts is it worthwhile? And do you actually pull the meat off, raise temps, then sear? Or is that more of a BGE process and you just move to the hot side? Thanks.

Jon: No need to pull the meat off with the kettle just as you said,just move it to the direct area of your grill.

I used to do it just the way Wolgast described. But I tend to go lower/slower when planning a reverse sear. Not super low, mind you, but I'm trying for temps at 350 or below. Not great for searing. So I do take the meat off, open the vents wide, place the lid vent on the same side as the coals, and offset the lid slightly. In just a few (less than five) minutes, I'm usually at 500 degrees or even better sometimes.

I will try that Jim. Im just to lazy to take the meat off and then put it back on. But you have a point for sure. Great food needs some work
icon_smile.gif

I don't pull the meat off in many cases. Depends on the size of the meat cut. Nor do I necessarily crank the temps up. Searing doesn't necessarily require high kettle temps, just a hot enough direct situation. Often I just leave the meat alone and rotate the grate so that the meat is direct.

In terms of enzymatic activity, searing to finish is beneficial on cuts that are normally on the tough side whether steaks or roasts. It can be used, though, with tender steaks and roasts. Enzymatic activity is not that important with these, but searing to finish thicker steaks or large roasts cuts - beef tenderloin, say, or strip loin roasts - can offer the cook some flexibility. It enables him or her to cook moderately at the outset an attend to other things, dealing the the finishing sear at the end of the cook, in just a few minutes.

Did I mention that I invented cooking over wood coals and using smoke for flavor? I separate the food from the coals and wood using a grate-like device that i came up with. It works pretty well.

Bill

[[/QUOTE]

Oh he reads and posts here
icon_smile.gif

He's a good guy though.[/QUOTE]

He also sells Maverick thermometers and Forschner Knives at a good price

Lid on. Most of my steaks are 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick. I use the elevated coal bed right up under the cast iron. High heat sear the whole time. Total of 6 minutes always gives me the perfect med rare with nice grill marks that make for a good crunch with out being bitter.

See?
grill4.jpg

Originally posted by Timothy Hoffman:
Lid on. Most of my steaks are 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" thick. I use the elevated coal bed right up under the cast iron. High heat sear the whole time. Total of 6 minutes always gives me the perfect med rare with nice grill marks that make for a good crunch with out being bitter.

See?

Timothy how are you elevating your coals?

Jay

Originally posted by JHunter:

Timothy how are you elevating your coals?

Jay

I use the wire charcoal rails from Weber. I clip them in like normal on the charcoal grate. Then I place a second charcoal grate on top of the rails. The coals are then dumped out on top of this grate. Then when the cooking grate is placed on the grill the coals are right up under it. I will be taking some pictures of this set up soon since so many people ask about it.

I go lid off to sear, then indirect covered if needed. I don't have the charcoal holders but I've used bricks before to raise the grate.

Back