Do You Use an Automatic Temperature Controller ?

John Vale

TVWBB Fan
I was wondering what percentage of the people who cook with WSMs use an automatic temperature controller. I use a BBQ Guru and do so to focus my time on improving my cooking skills and finding and trying new recipes rather than tending to the fire. My son in California uses a Stoker for the same purposes.

I clearly understand that lots of people enjoy tending the fire and find it a pleasant part of the BBQ process, so I am not trying to convince anyone that using an automatic controller is the best way to go. I also have a sense that people who compete use controllers more than backyard cooks, but I have no information to back up this assumption of mine.

I have a Stoker, only because I was fortunate enough to win it in a contest when the product was first introduced. I probably would not have bought a Stoker or Guru, since the WSM is so easy to control even "naked", but I do feel more confident about firing up the smoker for an overnight cook, knowing that the Stoker never sleeps.
icon_wink.gif

I agree with you Larry, if it was given to me, I would use it. But until then, I don't think I can justify the price, neither to myself nor to SHMBO

I don't use one. I like tending to the fire and the challenge of temp control. That being said, I do occasionally find myself thinking it would be nice to set it and forget it.

Kev

While the benefits would sure be nice I kind of enjoy the challenge of keeping a temperature and as has been said the WSM is very easy to hold a temperature. It's part of the reason I left a gasser to start with!

Clark

I own three gurus - two for my WSMs and one for my Caldera Tallboy. The one for Tallboy is the wireless Procom version - it is very nice. I have used them in very extreme weather conditions (try Nevada desert in middle of summer both day and night with 40 to 50 mph winds) and they have really worked well.

I have found though that you if you are cooking for a comp and want a smoke ring, you can't really mix a Guru and the Minion method. Otherwise you get smoldering wood and charcoal which does not produce a smoke ring.

I have 2 guru competitors. I do compete and like the comfort of a little sleep. I have not experienced the same results as Bryan though. I do use the Minion method with the gurus and do get a nice smoke ring on my Q.

My opinion might not count since I don't actually own one yet, but based on what I have read I am planning on getting one. I don't mind tending the WSM but I live in what I consider to be the windiest place on earth (Just North of Edwards AFB, CA). It is routinly 50mph here and it is impractical to build a shield that would be effective and stay put.

Troy

Quite honestly, the WSM runs so flawlessly I don't think it's needed - EXCEPT in those places with lots of inclement weather (and by inclement, I mean wind, not just cold or heat).

I ran my WSM the other day for 18 hours, didn't touch it once, didn't refuel, nothing and it stayed a steady 230-245. I don't even use my remote thermometers any more. I just walk out there an hour or so after I start it, make sure temps are good, then leave it for the day.

But I don't deal with a lot of wind. If that were the case, I could see the value. Or if I had a different smoker. But with the WSM, I just don't need it.

But to each their own.

I've got a Stoker and absolutely love it.

I'm not that experienced at running the WSM, having had persistent trouble with temperature control. For the most part, that's a non-issue now that the Stoker is on the job. I can run an all-night cook now without having to wake up every hour or two to check the fire. That's nice. If there's a problem the StokerLog software running on the laptop next to my bed sounds an alarm, I get up long enough to fix the problem and go back to bed.

There's no way to justify the cost of something like that, especially when the WSM is so capable (in the right hands, anyway) of maintaining steady temps. For me, it was the gadget factor - I'm a geek already, so having my smoker connected to my computer was just irresistable...

The comments about needing on in "inclement weather" areas are neglecting the (unfortunate) fact that the Stoker is *NOT* suited for use in anything but dry weather. Neither the control box nor blower fan are water-tight (or even water resistant for that matter), a fact I didn't realize prior to purchase, and something I'm going to have to remedy before winter rolls around.

Bottom line is I like my Stoker and am quite happy with the decision to buy it. Does it make me a better cook? I can't say for sure, as I turned out good meat before I had it, despite the temperature control problems. One distinct advantage is that it'll make my good batches a lot more reproducible.

I have been using a pitminder for some time now. I use it because of limited vent access due to my setup. I have enjoyed not having to baby-sit the startup. (Light a few coals, set the ATC and go do what I need to do. Come back and its ready to go...) With that said, the WSM on it's own is so stable I don't know if I benefit a great deal during the cook. Perhaps I conserve a little fuel. But, these products have their place...

Q'n, Golf'n & Grill'n.... too many choices!
Gary

I have one of the earliest gurus. I did the testing routine, and it hasn't been out of the box since. Nothing against it by any means, I just don't need it. WSM cooks at home are typically on a covered back porch that is protected from the west and north, so wind doesn't usually cause much of a problem.

That, and the fact that we're still at a point where we don't want to depend on anything that is controlled electronically for our cookers, be they WSMs or the bigger rigs. We've seen too many competitors at comps that were out of the competition if they lost power. We also tend to haul the various cookers to places where it is not convenient to run electricity, so it's easier just to not become dependent on it.

Keri C, Hot Wire BBQ

Keri,

I have and recieved one of the original Guru's like you did. If you're interested in parting with yours, I have a use for it.

Thanks,

Bill

I have a Stoker and although I've only cooked a few times with eat, I love it! Never had any problems with temps (well, maybe once) before I bought it, I just value sleep too much.

The only reason I smoke is to eat. I personally would rather do something else than tend the fire. I'm a lazy, but well-rested, WSM owner...
icon_biggrin.gif

I love the Stoker as I got tired of checking the temps etc...even with a wireless therm...and I love to sleep!

Now, I concentrate on the other aspects...rubs, temps, wood, cuts of meat...etc.

Back