Do you Ragu?

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
9ED116B5-841E-4FC6-80ED-AD60E64BE12A.jpegEat The Freezer continues!

Ground beef, ground pork, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, tomato paste and EVOO (SP and Italian seasoning) cooking off till sautéed.

Next goes in the Italian sausages and crushed and purée Cento tomatoes.

Will be served with whatever pasta the pantry holds. More pics to follow!

Do you Ragu?

YES!!!! We very much like Ragu. Posted the recipe we use here a few years ago. Here it is.

FRUG.-We have made this at least 3 times so far. It is Very Good. The "Frug" says,

"Ragu is a simple sauce made almost entirely with meat, and it is common throughout all of Northern Italy. So enjoy, but this dish makes anything on which you put it into an entire meal."

Ragu

Makes about 3 quarts

1/2 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 lb. pancetta, coarsely ground
2 lbs. veal, coarsely ground
2 lbs. pork butt, coarsely ground
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
6 TB butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tsp chopped fresh sage
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a 10 to 12 qt. heavy bottom stainless steel kettle, add the oil, garlic, celery, carrot and onion. Saute until the onion is transparent, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the pancetta and sauté 5 minutes. Add the veal and pork and brown until crumbly, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, chicken stock, white wine and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, partly covered, for 2 hours. Add the butter, cream, sage and cheese and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Skim the fat from the top of the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.

Source: Frug Cooks Italian - Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet

YES!!!! We very much like Ragu. Posted the recipe we use here a few years ago. Here it is.

FRUG.-We have made this at least 3 times so far. It is Very Good. The "Frug" says,

"Ragu is a simple sauce made almost entirely with meat, and it is common throughout all of Northern Italy. So enjoy, but this dish makes anything on which you put it into an entire meal."

Ragu

Makes about 3 quarts

1/2 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic
1 rib celery, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
1/2 lb. pancetta, coarsely ground
2 lbs. veal, coarsely ground
2 lbs. pork butt, coarsely ground
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 6 oz. can tomato paste
6 TB butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
2 tsp chopped fresh sage
2/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Heat a 10 to 12 qt. heavy bottom stainless steel kettle, add the oil, garlic, celery, carrot and onion. Saute until the onion is transparent, about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the pancetta and sauté 5 minutes. Add the veal and pork and brown until crumbly, about 5 minutes. Add the parsley, chicken stock, white wine and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently, partly covered, for 2 hours. Add the butter, cream, sage and cheese and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Skim the fat from the top of the sauce. Salt and pepper to taste.

Source: Frug Cooks Italian - Jeff Smith, the Frugal Gourmet
Close to what I did. Sans the wine, pancetta, chicken stock, butter and cream

I used two 28oz cans, one of each, crushed and purée toms.

And then rinsed the cans with a half can of water in each to clean the cans out.

And I went a little crazy on the garlics because, well, we like fresh garlic.

I ran all my veggies through the Cuisinart processor to chop them all evenly and quickly.

Some of my fam is dairy free so we serve cheese on the side.

Sometimes I’ll add a splash of the wine we’re drinking that meal into the Ragu for added earthiness flavor.

I learned to make Ragu as a cheap meal as that’s its origin. We served this, along with the sausages, over Barilla medium shells.

The Ragu gets stuck in the shells as you serve and eat them giving a nice extra meat bite.

This is one of the easiest meals to create that can feed an army.

For a little extra (secret ingredient) place a few short ribs into the pot and sear them with the veggies before you add the ground meats. That’s rich peoples Italian Ragu!

Last edited:
My wifey is in charge of the meat sauce in our house - she kills it every time. I'm in charge of the meat balls. We love italian food!!!!

Back