Do you oil your steaks before grilling?

Bob Correll

R.I.P. 3/31/2022
An article in today's paper by a "food professional" says to dry the steak well, then apply olive oil before grilling.
I have on occasions, but normally don't.
No idea if doing so actually "keeps the juices inside" but doubt that it does.
I do salt only, then pepper when done.
Oil or no oil, that is the question.

"Once the steak and the grill are ready, you brush a little olive oil on it. The olive oil keeps the juices inside the steak, promotes caramelization, and keeps it from sticking. Next, season it with salt and (if you like) pepper. I usually pepper my steak once it comes off the grill because pepper burns quickly, but most people season with both salt and pepper at the start."

We do. It helps the salt and pepper stick better, and leads to a little better sear on the outside.

That said, I think it's more an issue of personal choice, steaks come out just fine without it.

Every time I remember to do it, I am glad I did, although I prefer to do it with corn or peanut oil, instead of olive oil. More than keeping juices in, I get a better crust with a quick brush of oil. That's the advantage I see.

I have started reserving any seasoning other than salt until the very end of the cook. That has made a big difference.

I like to rub a little olive oil on a steak before grilling , but mostly cuz I feel like it makes the seasoning stick....(esp when I use Montreal seasoning) kind of like rubbing a pork shoulder with mustard. I feel like its worth the extra step.

I use Garlic Olive Oil with S&P on my steaks that have been coming to room temp. When those steaks hit that hot grill, the smell is unbelievable. They never stick and the crust is wonderful.

Bill

a very important step in the grilling process. Personally, I use distilled spirits , but in essence it's the same thing..:cool:
Frank, yeah man, I'm pretty flexible on the content of my glass... but I chose to type the word beer because the majority of my grilling oiled steaks occur with a glass bottle of barley pop.
And, I think I've made it common knowledge here that I also swig rhum or gin besides our Milwaukee's Finest brews...

In other words, the steaks and you both get well oiled.
edit, Frank beat me to the punch, again!
yup Bub, lubed, greased... oiled.... call it anything, it's alllllll the same.
essen36.gif

I agree with David as its a personal choice, I have once or twice but usually just do some S&P and toss them on. I do spray my grates with Pam grilling spray when I cook.

When I oil a steak it is with peanut oil, not olive oil. It does help to hold the seasonings on better on a steak that is not frozen. But I try not to grill frozen steaks.

I like to pat my steaks dry. Apply a good amount of salt and let them sit for 1-2 hours. I then lightly rub with oil and apply fresh cracked black pepper and throw em on the fire.

Back