Do you keep your grills out year round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch

TVWBB Member
Living here in the Northeast I usually stop using my charcoal grills after snow falls. I keep them covered on my deck year round and switch to gas. Now that I found a new Red Performer I was wondering if I should put her in the shed or leave her out covered. I keep my One Touch Gold out covered year round. Just wondering what people do with their grills.

My first year with a Weber, but my neighbor who gave me his grill, kept it out uncovered all year. I plan on doing the same.

I live in Connecticut. Because I use them year-round, I keep my all of my cookers (Performer, WSM, two 22.5" kettles, a gasser and an SJS) out on the patio year-round. The Performer is 19 years old; one of the kettles is at least 32 years old (and may be 40 years old). All but the SJS are covered when not in use. The covers have been adequate to protect my equipment from the New England winters.

It gets pretty dang cold in Tennessee in the winter, but I Grill and Q all year long.
Finally getting around to smoking a Turkey breast for us this afternoon.

Kettles: Have 5 22"ers and one 26"er
The 26" and 2 22" stay out along with the 18" WSM.
Why not?

I keep my performer covered outside year round, although it's buried in snow right now. The WSM stays in the garage when not used, and the eggs are my cookers of choice during the cold and snow. I have a bubba keg this winter, not sure what to do with it as it's all metal. It's outside under a cover right now.

I keep mine outside and covered (for the most part
icon_rolleyes.gif
). It gets nowhere near as cold as Tennessee or Wisconsin or Maine(where I grew up),but I use all my toys year round.

My Performer and UDS stay outside and get used all year long. They are undercover when not in use.

When I had my Primo Jr. that also stayed outside, but my WSM was in the garage when not being used.

Here in Central Florida, everything stays out and is used all year. Even when the temps drop, I am still out by the grill
icon_smile.gif
And that is just where I want to be...

I keep them all covered for the little time they stay cool
icon_wink.gif
, but I use them all year here. When it snows the first path that gets cleared is the one to my grills.

Before my wife and I got our patio cover installed, I moved my grills to the garage all winter and during any rainy weather. But now that we have a patio cover with a wind and privacy shield, and because I've fashioned a rudimentary wind shield around my OTS, I will be attempting to grill and smoke year round.

We live in an area that's a bit breezy most of the time, so next spring and summer I plan to build a better, more sturdy, and portable wind blocker with sheets of plywood, hinges, and wheels. Hopefully I'll be able to build just one that will work for three separate configurations:

1.) Using the OTS only
2.) Using the gasser only
3.) Using both the OTS and gasser simultaneously

My goal is to make grilling and smoking so easy that I NEVER have to worry about the unpredictable southwestern Idaho weather that lives here, no matter the time of year!
icon_cool.gif

Barret

I have 3 Weber's and leave them out uncovered all year probably because I am using them rain,sleet,snow or dark of night. I have as much fun grillin in the winter as I do in the summer and we get alot of snow up here in northern Michigan

We live outside of Bufflao, NY and the grills get just as much use in the winter as they do the rest of the year. I keep the covers on them when I can, but the performer was mostly uncovered last winter.

I would be grilling today, but it's pouring rain, and I just don't feel like getting suited up to brave the weather. When snow comes no problem I'll be out there grilling.

I mostly use the kettle in the winter and move it right outside the back door,once the snow and ice build up on the deck I don't worry much about it catching on fire and the kettle makes great ribs and roasts when it's -40c out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back