Do you keep your grills out year round

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use mine year round but do cover them between uses. I want to avoid having to deal with a lid that is froze to the base

Both Performer and WSM outside now for the last few years covered. Well before that they were technically outside but under roof on a screened in porch. They've both held up well. Remove the grates though, especially if you have cast iron. Leave the vents open so they can breath/circulate air to dry out condensation, etc. On the WSM I turn the mid section upside down, this puts the top lip on the outside and keeps water from draining inside the unit (yeah the covers leak at the seam).

No worse for the wear really.

Outback in the garage. I try to avoid leaving my male dogs any easy targets.
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

Outside, no cover on the kettle. Messing with the cover is work.
icon_smile.gif
And, in the winter time, it is where I need it at all times.

My performer, "Q", and WSM are all covered mainly to keep the ice off. All 3 get plenty of use during the winter months, which is usually 5 to 6 months a year unfortunately.
icon_frown.gif

I keep my standard 89 dollar kettle outside all winter UNCOVERED!! My wsm and my other webers in garage.. My kettle is getting grey thou.. but heck it is almost 20 years old!

I keep everything outside all year round but they are kept under a Large carport in between the cars. I also have covers on all of them except the 18.5 OTS and one of the 22.5 OTS's.

Wayne

Most are outside in the backyard and covered year round. I have a few in the garage that I pull out when the kiddies are in the front playing. Helps me cook & watch the buggers at the same time.

I have an 18.5 kettle that I've had for about 10-yrs and for the most part kept it outside year round without a cover. The past 3-4 years I decided to buy the "cheap" Weber cover that would break down half way through the winter. You would never know that though, it's in great condition. Now I keep my 22" WSM and the 18.5 Kettle in my shed to take better care of them. I also recently purchased a "new to me" 1994 performer. No cover yet but she'll be getting one once I fix her up!

Both my WSM and grill stay out all year-the only reason my smoker is covered is so it doesn't fill up with water. Have never covered my grills and have probably had five or so, but have been cooking outside for forty years plus. I'd say that's a pretty good return on my investment.

Les Stubby

I have a small rain covered grill area, but it still gets wind-blown rain. (I added the overhead roof for ME, not the Webers.) With our humidity, I'm more concerned about mildew or condensation inside than I am with rain or snow. And since I grill/smoke year round, not much sense in all those hours covering and uncovering. And like someone already said -- "that's work!".

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back