Do I need a WSM, Gasser, and a Kettle

Guess I'm in the lots of different tools for different jobs camp, let's see... I have two WSMs, a Performer, a 22" kettle, a Smoky Joe, and a Genesis gasser. The gas grill was the last one that I acquired, but after a long time of hesitating to do so (and being influenced by growing up around el-cheapo gas grills that sucked and rusted out in no time) I realized that it definitely does fill some voids. As others said, it's quick and less sensitive to bad weather or changing winds. It takes hardly any fuel or time if all you are needing to do is make a few hot dogs for some hungry kids that just got done swimming or whatever.

The other thing that I haven't seen anybody else mention but was a reason for getting a good gasser "here" is that we do a bunch of canning, freezing etc. from our gardens and sweet corn patch and such outdoors at our cabin. (Cleanup is way nicer when all you have to do is hose off a concrete patio, vs. taking all that mess into your kitchen!) We already had a Camp Chef outdoor burner there to do much of that work on, but adding the Genesis gave me another platform that is helpful with that stuff. It's an advantage to be able to put something in there, set it at 350 degrees or whatever and know that it will run consistently without babysitting while you're busy with other stuff.

OP "But the real reason for my post is to figure out whether I need a Weber kettle as well." And my answer was NO. How is this not addressing in OP first?

What can I do on a Weber Kettle that can't be done on the Gasser or WSM?

Thanks.

Ill tell you this, the real answer here is the kettle can do everything the gasser can, and more.... There is only one trick that the gasser can do that the kettle cant and that is turn on with a knob. Using a charcoal chimney you can have coals ready in 10-15 min.... The gasser is inferior, especially where I live. in -25 degree weather the gasser cant make enough heat to really do much. So long story short, skip the gasser and get a great kettle. If you want something bigger get a 26" kettle.

I have a Weber Mastertouch 22" Grill, WSM 18" "Classic" and a Weber Smoky Joe. My go-to for quick cooks is my Weber Smoky Joe which has custom "Grill Grates".

I have two sets of the three.... at home, I have a Performer, 4 burner Summit gasser and an 18.5" WSM. I use my vortex and Slow 'n Sear often with the Performer and rottie a lot with the gasser.
In a storage unit where we vacation for two-three weeks every summer, I have a kettle (last year's red limited edition), the 18.5" WSM and an unboxed Weber three-burner Spirit.
Gotta have my toys on vacation!:cool:

Back