Direct Grilled Spares and Jerked Chicken

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
My wife and I have been haunted by memories of ribs from a place called Talk of the Town lolo in Grand Case, St Martin. We were there twice in two years, but that was a long time ago. An internet search came up empty, so I made up a recipe based on foggy memories and what I thought might work. I wanted to directly grill them, which I was figuring would take 1.5 to 2 hours, while mixing in a bath that I could periodically quench them in and use as a baste. We settled on a salt and pepper rub and my bath was: Goya tamarind juice, Worcestershire sauce, cane vinegar, and a vidalia onion.

Starter #1: jerked shrimp with honey ginger sauce
IMG_8043.JPG

Starter #2: salt cod fritters with Pickapeppa hot pepper sauce
IMG_8040.JPG

Some action shots of the direct grilled ribs
IMG_8051.JPG

IMG_8044.JPG

the quenching/basting bath
IMG_8041.JPG

While the ribs took most of my attention, I smoked some jerked thighs with a trusty "set it and forget it" wsm. I like to smoke jerk with a bit of cinnamon and allspice mixed in with fruit woods.
IMG_8037.JPG

chicken on the wsm
IMG_8048.JPG

Jerked chicken
IMG_8053.JPG

Direct Grilled Tamarind Ribs
IMG_8059.JPG

I'm really happy with the way they turned out. They had a ton of char grilled flavor, the baste boiled down to this amazing gravy, and they were tender in a different way, as the meat pulled off the bone but had a bit more chew.

Great post Jeff. It's good to see you here on the form. I'm always impressed with your new ideas and new techniques. The recipes and beautiful pics are especially appreciated. This reminds me that I have been wanting to do jerk ribs for sometime; a combination of all the above that you posted.;)

Three of the four basic food groups! But in the words of Clara Peller, "Where's the beef?!"

Seriously Jeff, that entire meal looks excellent! Excellent photography!

Food and pics are out of this world, I have to try direct grilled ribs, love the Caribbean and Carribean food just the way you did it.

Great post Jeff. It's good to see you here on the form. I'm always impressed with your new ideas and new techniques. The recipes and beautiful pics are especially appreciated. This reminds me that I have been wanting to do jerk ribs for sometime; a combination of all the above that you posted.;)

right back at you Gary ;)

Very well done, love to see some recipes when you can

here's my favorite jerk recipe
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?82-Jerk-Marinade-and-Finishing-Sauce

for the ribs, I used a large can (2 quart?) of Goya tamarind nectar, and maybe a 1/4 cup of the vinegar and worcestershire, plus a sliced onion.

Let me know if you need any of the other recipes

Jeff, I'm interested in hearing more about your direct grilling technique for the ribs. It all looks so good - picture perfect!

Back