DInosaur (Plate) Ribs

TonyS T-Bone

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up a 5LB plate rib section at Costco on Friday night.

B7EFE728-E7D8-4346-AA3D-574E3DA6C878.jpeg
Prepped them Saturday night, cleaned, rinsed, membrane removed, mustard rub and a heavy blend of SPG then onto a tray for an 8 hour sleep in the fridge. Prepped my old 22" smoke kettle with the snake method. Chicago temp 36 and windy. Scattered small pieces of Hickory throughout. Rarely use hickory as I am a primarily a pork/fowl cook, but figured the ribs could take it.

Kettle setup.jpg

Maybe it was the wind, or maybe it was the cold, or maybe I should have used a 4-briquet snake, but after an hour I couldn't get temps over 150 or so, but in that hour, the ribs got plenty of good smoke. I moved the beast to an indoor oven at 275 with SMOKE probes and let her go for approximately 7 hours until I hit 203.

Out of oven.jpg

I was so happy with the bark and moisture content

Ouit of Oven 2.jpg

Wrapped her in butcher paper and parked it in the cooler for about 1.5 hours until mac/cheese, garlic chive mashed potatoes and garlic bread were ready. Time to unwrap:

Out og the cooler and ready to unwrap.jpg

Very happy that the bark held up, great smoke ring, super juicy and tender.

Great bark and moisture even after holding in cooler.jpg

Had to give it an aggressive squeeze for runny juices effect, but the combination of that crunchy salty bark and smoke ring, combined with that prime rib beefy flavor was outstanding. I am always going to be on the lookout for those plates.

Last edited:
Man, I WISH my CostCo had plate ribs. As it is, they only occasionally have chuck short ribs (which are super tasty!) Great cook!

R

I will be making a stop soon. Love beef ribs. Was a bit worried they may get too smokey on your set up. But they came out great. Been a bit warmer here and more for a couple days. But do not worry, jan, feb, should be extra snowy and nasty, and...
Now I know what to make for christmas.

I will be making a stop soon. Love beef ribs. Was a bit worried they may get too smokey on your set up. But they came out great. Been a bit warmer here and more for a couple days. But do not worry, jan, feb, should be extra snowy and nasty, and...
Now I know what to make for christmas.
I was heavy handed, but the wood chips were like corn flakes, I think you get a different smoke flavor (stronger) from the big chunks. Plus its beef. Big beef can handle big smoke better than say chicken or pork loin. IDK, just IMO. I'll never know since I couldn't get to temp and had to finish it off in the kitchen oven. Look for the crown roast of pork at Costco as an option this holiday season.

Back