Diminishing flavor quality of ketchup with use

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I recently tasted some just-opened ketchup vs. a 3/4 empty bottle and the flavor difference was striking. And we go through a lot of ketchup quickly in our household (read "me") so the 3/4 empty bottle couldn't have been open for more than 10 days. Can I attribute this to the tomato oxidizing in the presence of more and more oxygen in the bottle as it empties. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

I know for sure, it changes color , quickly. I have ketchup on the dining room table, I use it so often. Honestly, I've not noticed that much a flavor change, but if the color is changing ........... well, hey.

What Brand / type? Honestly I’ve had some in the fridge for months, and it tastes the same as the next
bottle up.

I to will only buy Heinz ketchup! We don't go through it very quickly and it sits in the fridge for at least a month. I have not noticed any flavor change but now I'll make sure I try it once we open a new bottle.

Not to sound stupid or ask a stupid question but is/would there be a difference in the bottle styles. Normal vs the bottles stored with the spout down?

Not to sound stupid or ask a stupid question but is/would there be a difference in the bottle styles. Normal vs the bottles stored with the spout down?
You know that sounds like that would make a big difference. The spout down ones would not let air in so it seems like if air is the factor then storing upside down would prevent this. I do the same thing with my sour cream and things similar. It doesn't go bad as fast since what's inside acts as an air barrier.

I do that with my gallon paint cans. Smash the lid on tight and store them upside down. Seems to keep the paint better/ longer that way.

You always end up with air inside a ketchup bottle, even in the upside down versions. Once you squeeze to dispense the ketchup, it's only the intake of air through the hole in the lid that allows the bottle to regain its shape.

But now I'm realizing that this is what I need. No air in the bag. And a pump on the kitchen counter would be so cool. Seriously, though, in the video they say that the ketchup bag can remain at room temperature for 14 days, then any leftover ketchup should be discarded. I assume that's an issue with quality/taste rather than safety.

Based on this thread I have a feeling I've rarely enjoyed fresh-tasting ketchup :confused: . But it reminds me that my precious Mother-in-law raved about the taste of ketchup she enjoyed from a restaurant several months ago. We bought a small case for her and she was able to enjoy it for a few months before her passing in December... so I've been buying it for ourselves, lately.

They share a nice family history story:
https://redgoldtomatoes.com/

1615207164839.png

Based on this thread I have a feeling I've rarely enjoyed fresh-tasting ketchup :confused: . But it reminds me that my precious Mother-in-law raved about the taste of ketchup she enjoyed from a restaurant several months ago. We bought a small case for her and she was able to enjoy it for a few months before her passing in December... so I've been buying it for ourselves, lately.

They share a nice family history story:
https://redgoldtomatoes.com/

View attachment 23831
I realize that I'm waaaay late in this thread but this is good stuff! They had them on sale, last year at Costco, (practically giving them away), and we bought a few. It's very good. Went back to get more, and it was gone. I'm one of those people who "put ketchup on ketchup" and I love the stuff. I've never heard, or probably had, ketchup around long enough for it to develop an off-taste, or degradation in flavor.

Oh...and to refrigerate ketchup?? Blasphemy!!!!

Back