Differences in taste and texture using pellets vs charcoal?

Seeing more of the cooks that you've done on that Rec Tec the more I'm warming up to the idea of getting one.

My first pellet grill was a Craigslist Rec Tec RT-300 - a 90 lb. "portable". My second was a Craigslist Camp Chef Smokepro DLX that I modified a lot but only have $330 in it and 570 sq. in. of cooking grate. One mod was replacing the controller with a Rec Tec WIFI controller. Only 2 years experience with the Rec Tec and less with the CC. I use Pit Boss Competition Blend pellets bought at Lowes. 40 lb. $15 and 10% military discount makes it $13.50 for 40 lb. I've tried Lumberjack hickory pellets but see no difference in taste or performance so I use the cheap option exclusively. Someone with a more refined palate than mine will probably notice the difference and I sure don't have a problem with that. Both of my grills burn about a pound an hour so a 40 lb. bag lasts a good while. I live in Florida (humid) and I keep a bag of pellets in the garage. Haven't had a moisture problem yet.

Texture and taste of the meat is the same or so close I can't tell the difference. The Rec Tec WIFI controller produces more smoke than the other 2 controllers I've used and others on the Pellet Fan forum experienced the same thing. I did 3 lb. of Beef Jerky last month and smoked it on the CC for 4 hours at 180°. The smoke flavor was strong and comparable to Jerky done on a stick burner smoker a friend used. The older controller wouldn't have done that.

I live in hurricane country so power losses are inevitable. My charcoal grill and smoker are emergency cookers so can't be replaced by a pellet grill. Another limitation of a pellet grill is ability to sear. Searing on GrillGrates in a pellet grill is OK but great on my Weber Kettle.

Last edited:
I've always wanted to know if the pellets just compressed sawdust or do they have some sort of binder that holds them together? I enjoy the effort in smoking on the WSM and have purchased 40lbs of Kingsford (2 - 20lb bags) for as little as $12.99 on sale so I have the room to buy 16 bags at a time. I'm just guessing but I'd say I'm burn a little over $.50 to $.60 an hour, when purchased on sale. Call me frugal but can the pellets be that inexpensive to make it worth switching over?

Last edited:
Mastics and binders is one reason I hate things like Kingsford Briquettes. Also because they're not just wood product. They actually have lignite coal mixed in which gives off the petroleum plant smell and taste I hate so much from most charcoal cooks unless they use only natural lump

there is less smoke flavor in my experience eating Q from a traeger pellet, its not a bad thing depending on how much smoke flavor you prefer but honestly the best Q ive had came off a stick burner, hard to pin down but I assume it's the all wood fire and air flow penetrating the meat slightly more?....To me the Q that comes off a WSM or similar smoker are right in the middle and can provide light or heavy smoke flavor with the least amount of effort compared to a stick burner

The pellet manufacturers say the lignin in the sawdust(wood) is the binder. The sawdust is heated and compressed as far as I know. My grill puts out a lot more smoke at 250 and below so I often cook at a low temp for a couple of hours and then raise the temp.

As far as fuel cost is concerned for me the cost/hr using charcoal on my 18.5 and pellets in my Camp Chef is close enough that it's not a factor for me. I could skew that one way by buying more expensive pellets or more expensive lump. I get both fuels at Lowes and stock up when they have a sale.

I gave my Rec Tec to my Son and his first cook was a 10 lb. Turkey. He said it was awesome so now he has his Genesis and a pellet pooper. That's a good combination for him because he doesn't have fun tending fires. The combination that works for me is my 18.5 WSM, Performer, and the pellet grill.

Back