Did I get a bad bag of Royal Oak Classic Charcoal ?

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
Hello all,

The 18lb bag of RO Classic Charcoal (the red and yellow bag) that I'm currently using has significant issues.

1) A lot of white smoke on start up, which is something I haven't experienced before with this.

2) The stuff really crumbles when I dump it into the performer after the chimney is fully lit.

3) There are a lot of broken pieces still in the bag, which may be directly related to #2.

The only time I've encountered these issues before with RO charcoal is when I bought several of the RO Premium Charcoal (the red, white, & blue bag) when Wal Mart had it on sale a couple years ago before Covid.

I used RO Classic for several weeks this summer and didn't experience any of these issues. So maybe I just got a bad batch?

That describes every bag of RO I've bought. I won't touch the stuff.

On the other hand, I've been really happy with Cowboy briquettes, available at Tractor Supply (and sometimes Costco.)

Seems like Royal is being royally affected by COVID. From older posts on here and other comments seems to have been a decent product with a few bad bags but now it's a good majority are bad.

Of course you usually only hear about the bad, but now there's big chunks of metal and/or uncharred wood.

Seems like Royal is being royally affected by COVID. From older posts on here and other comments seems to have been a decent product with a few bad bags but now it's a good majority are bad.

Of course you usually only hear about the bad, but now there's big chunks of metal and/or uncharred wood.
That could be. Like I mentioned in 1st post in thread, I haven't experienced these issues w/Royal Oak Classic briquettes before. I did with the RO Premium that Wal Mart sells and I haven't bought any since. I have 2 bags of RO Classic left in garage (an 18lb and a 20) so will have to see if I experience the same issues with those and go from there.

Back