Desperately need advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Okay I am in a debate with myself on whether or not to purchase the Weber Smokey Mountain. I need some help from the Veterans and Beginners to help steer me in the right direction. I have a couple questions if you could find the time to help me out.
1. How well do those smoker boxes perform in gas grills when compared to the Bullet?
2. How often do you find yourself smoking? I'm just wondering if it's easy or a hassle.
3. How much attention does the Smokey Mountain require? I hear horror stories from some people saying they have to check it every hour and refill the lump charcoal. These are from people that didn't purchase the Bullet might I add.
4. What are some accessories that you probably consider a "must have" for smoking?

Thanks or the time and feedback and if you have anything else to contribute I appreciate it. I am loyal to Weber and own a gas and charcoal grill. Now I would like to move towards smoking.

thanks again.

I just bought my WSM at the end of June. I have only used it twice. Smoked ribs each time. I use the Minnion method and have not had any problems concerning temp control or babysitting. I was really amazed, you just fire it up and let it go. You should check the temp every once in a while. For this I bought a fryer thermometer from Walmart (only $3)and leave it in the top vent. Other than a thermometer there is nothing else I need.

Thanks George. It's encouraging to know that you just bought and find it to be fairly low maintenance when using. Hopefully I'll have my mind made up by this weekend. The sooner the better.

Answer to a few of your questions:

1. Regarding the comparison between a smoker box in a gasser vs the WSM it is not even close. The WSM will allow you to go low and slow. There is no way you can do a great brisket or large cuts of meat on your grill or gasser.

2. Hassle. Once you get a little organized the WSM is real easy and fast. I use ours at least once a week even in the winter. I have gotten the cleanup thing down to where it takes me less than five minutes to cleanup and get going on a new cook.

3. Attention. I orginally got my WSM's to do overnight cooks. I still do more overnighters than cook during the day. Reason for this is I have a couple of mobiles that I do large cooks in. I use WSM's for briskets, chuck rolls and pork butts. For these cooks I usually put the meat on about 10:00pm and go to bed. They get no attention what so ever until morning. On the rare time I do a daytime cook I notice the temp does not move within a few degrees of 250 all day.
These things can go 12 hours or more on one good load of Kingsford.

4. Accessories. Some kind of polder or internal probes. Larger water pan and install a good thermo in the lid. Leather gloves. And I would consider getting a weedburner or else a chimney. I love my weedburner and will never use the chimney again. I use it to get the WSM going, I use it to burn of the grills and I use it to get charcoal going instantly on my Weber grill. Saves time and wakes up the neighborhood.

We have fours WSM's right now and I am going out this morning to get the fifth. Takes the big plunge and give it a try.

I have a Weber gas grill as well as a WSM. I've had a smkoker for about 2 years now.

The cast iron smoker boxes work ok, if you want to introduce a small amount of smoke. I use one from time to time on my gas grill. The problem, is you need to get it real close to a burner and keep the burner fairly hot. Real difficult to cook lo'-n'-slo'.

I usually fire up the smoker a couple times a month. It's a faily simple thing to do, but there is effort in prepping the meats the night before.

My WSM requires very little attention. I usually start with the air vents closed almost all the way and let the heat creep up to my target temp. Once there, it stays there. I've done pork butts, overnight, smoking them for 15-18hrs. When using the Minion Method, with a full ring of briquets, I've not had to add any more fuel to complete the cook.

Accesories - Probe-type thermometer, spring-type tongs, a Webber Chimney, Heat-resistant gloves and a fire exstingusher.

1. Like comparing a Ford Festiva to a Ferrari.

2. Weekly, no hassle (unless you pull a FLAY).

3. Probably less attention than any other smoker. Very minimal.

4. A chimney and thermometer will get you up and going with the bare-bones. Lots of other "nice-to-have" items down the road.

Order one this weekend through the Amazon link here. You'll be glad you did.

I got my smoker about 2 weeks ago and have done two cooks with it - baby back ribs and a brisket. Both came out really good and had a great smoke taste. I had been smoking on my Weber grill, but there is no comparison.
The WSM is very easy to maintain and it is amazing how it holds the temp over a period of time. You may have to tinker a bit in the beginning as you get experienced with it, but that is with anything.
You won't go wrong buying it.
One essential is heat proof gloves, like welding gloves.

Half-Wit (that seems to be a funny way to address someone),

I don't think the issue is whether using a smoker is a hassle, I think it is about whether you have ever had a delicious pork butt, or ribs, or brisket or, or.....oops!...that has been slow cooked and is moist and juicy and tastes like nothin' you ever had before. Who cares whether it is a hassle. That's what all this Q'n is about.

Me thinks that maybe you have never experienced good Q or you probably wouldn't be concerned about the efficiency of the process. Let it "hang out son" and get a WSM and do some smokin', you won't regret it.

Let us know how you do. There are lots of folks here that will help along.

Half Wit, That's an interesting tag. I'm sure there must be a story behind it.

Since you've used other Weber products, you know the WSM is of the highest quality. However, long, slow cooking probably isn't for everybody. I enjoy the process and I believe the result is unachievable in any other way. It sounds like your concern may be whether or not it's worth the effort to you. I suggest before you make the decesion that you look at the various links from the homepage. You'll get a feel for what is involved in the actual process. I'm not sure this forum really serves that purpose. I believe you'll become convinced that you want to try it and when you do you'll really enjoy it.

If you do make the decision to purchase, you'll find this site to be of great benefit and the people on this BB to be friendly and helpful.

PRG

Hi Half-Wit,

1. I have a WSM and a Weber gas grill with a cast-iron smoker box. If you like I can send you the smoker box. It does not work. Even after soaking the chips, they don't smoke for more than 30 minutes or so and most of the smoke escapes. I also get about an order of magnitude less smoke in the gas grill than I do in the WSM.

2. I have owned my WSM for about 1 1/2 years. I average about 3 smokes a month. I also smoke on the weekends. It's very addictive and I usually will get friends and family asking me when I am goign to smoke again.

3. No horror stories on the WSM. After a few smokes, the WSM get nice and seasoned and you rarely have to tend to it. It keeps a pretty constant temperature, especially if you use the Minion method. I will leave the smoker unattended for 5 or 6 hours when smoking brisket or pork butt.

4. You will definitely need a temperature probe. You can buy a polder digital or use a $10 analog probe and drop it into the top vent. You will also need a charcoal chimney, sauce mop and a good set of tongs.

Good Luck!

-mc

Hi and welcome 1/2wit,

I will probably echo most of what is said here. I own a Weber performer (charcoal), a Genesis (gas) and a WSM. They all have there place here, but really cannot be compared to each other.
If I am home on the weekends, I smoke. Most die hards seem to smoke about once a week, especially if there is a limited season. It is at least a half day comittment if you do ribs or chicken, a full day or overnight for brisket ect. The flavor and tenderness of the meat just can't be matched in a gas or kettle grill, although I have smoked in my performer, but the WSM results were so much better there is just no contest.
Chris has a link here that goes over necessary equipment, I have both a manuel and a maverick thermomter (the manuel came in handy when the maverick died in the beginning of a smoke). I have a container for my water, and always use my playtex gloves and my "ov gloves" for handling hot grills ect.
Although I will do a smoke for a small family dinner and save the rest, the most fun is cooking for a crowd. One WSM can hold enough ribs to feed 50 people (I can get 10 rolled racks on with no problems).
The WSM is my favorite amongst my Webers, the best investment I have ever made.
I hope you choose to buy it...your gonna have a blast!

Half-Wit:

I just got my smoker in the middle of July. Never smoked before I got it but had 'Qued on the Kettle for many years. My first smoke was two butterflied chickens. -- Delicious!!!!! Followed the directions on here and no problems. Second smoke was ribs. Weren't that great. I only did one rack (wife was gone) so I may have overcooked. I also think I got a bad slab of ribs. I'm gonna do a tri-tip tomorrow and have a butt planed for next weekend.

Bottom Line...Time is required but once you konw your way around the WSM it is not a hassle.
Also, you can see that this forum will even give you answers mid-cook. You won't regret it and your friends and family will be amazed.

DWL

Thanks for all your help guys. I know that smoking requires attention but I also know that some smokers require more than others. Since I have two young ones I am opting for the Bullet. I will place the order from Amazon tomorrow and you'll probably see me around these forums quite often for advice. Thanks for everything and I can't wait.

One last question - what is something you guys recommend smoking first? I hear somethings are harder to perfect than others.

Thanks again!!!

HW,

I would try baby back ribs. Put some rub on 'em, throw them on the WSM, 4 1/2 hours later...good eats. Read the cooking section at the top of the page and see what you think you might like and use the directions first time out.

I agree ribs are a good first cook, but I would go with spares-- they're less expensive, and more forgiving if you cook a little too long. Read up on trimming them St. Louis style in the Cooking section of the website. Rub the trimmings the same as the ribs-- they'll be done sooner and you can have a little preview snack of what's to come. Shoot for about a 5-1/2 hour cook, maintaining 240* at the top grate, which translates to a reading of around 255 if you measure thru the top vent. Some people like to cook them as much as 8-9 hours, but you can make your own judgement about that after a few cooks.

p.s. There are no mean, evil, or nasty people here, and we'd really rather address you by your real name. Maybe put your nickname in your sig instead?

Address me by my real name?!?! My real name is Half-Wit. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif Just kidding. The name's Carlo and I appreciate all your help guys. Bullet, here I come!!! Does most everyone drill a hole in the bullet and place a thermometer like in the pictures of the mods?

Carlo:

I thought chicken was pretty easy. The butcher even butterflied the whole fryer for me.

Just my 2 cents!

DWL

Carlo,
Before going through the trouble of drilling, take a look at the posts for the Maverick ET-73 thermometer. You can monitor dome or grid temp as well as meat temp and do it remotely as well. I think just about all of us that bought one are pleased with the product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back