Desperately need advice...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, Carlo,

I had the same time concerns as you, and am happy with my WSM. Had it for 2 months, smoked once/weekend. I will probably never cook indirect on my kettle grill again.

My advice: take some time to read the Tips parts of this site--you'll save yourself a lot of trouble. Special attention to "Firing Up" (Minion Method) and BBQ Accessories.

For ease of use, the ET-73 dual-probe thermometer is indispensible--$40 at www.thegadgetsource.com. A probe on the grill and a probe on the meat will take a LOT of the guessing out of the situation.

Have fun!

--Tom

Okay everyone, I finally purchased the WSM and am counting the days until it arrives. I also purchased a candy thermometer and a Polder thermometer at the same time. I appreciate all your help and I'm sure you'll see me around. By the way, I had to use the link for Amazon.com to contribute to this site. This is a great site and I hope it stays for years to come.

hi guy
the only diff. is the taste and the time & your
smoke. start brave. and then to your taste.
what fun & eating.

Half-Wit,

You made the right choice. I purchased my WSM about a month ago, mainly based on what I read here. I've owned other water smokers so I was familiar with the concept. The first thing I noticed about the WSM was how well made it is. It's also extemely efficient. I loaded up the charcoal bowl the first time I used it (ribs) and ended up salvaging most of it when I was finished. I just wasn't used to a smoker that was efficient. I was used to smokers that burned through fuel faster than a F-18. This thing is amazing. Ungodly steady temps for hours. I've had to learn NOT to babysit. I also have a Weber Gas grill and have cooked many briskets and ribs on it. Not even close to the WSM. I bit the bullet and drilled a hole and mounted and good thermo on mine. I also got a Polder probe thermo for monitoring meat temps. So far that's all I've done, however, I'm going to do the expanded metal mod for the charcoal grate. Although, I'm having trouble finding expanded metal. I tried HD and Lowes. Anyway, I digress, the thing works great, you'll be amazed and hooked. I've done at least 1 smoke every week since I got it. Tomorrow I'm doing a 10 lb brisket and some sausage. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I just got my WSM from amazon today. Threw it together as soon as I got home from work. I'm going to use it this weekend. I think I'm going to do some beer can chicken friday or saturday night. I've just got a craving for it. After that I may try my first brisket. Not sure yet.

The thing is just so cool looking though is'nt it. I can't wait to use it. I can't believe I've finaly got one!

Dennis,

I got mine last Friday and used it right away on Saturday. The pork butt turned out wonderfully moist and tender and everyone in the family loved it.

Sounds like you have plenty of experience Q-ing on your grill and have that pretty well nailed down. My prior experience was on an old ECB (no mods) which took a bunch of fiddling with.

Temps on the WSM for the first run were rock steady and easy to manage (good weather helped, too). Started with a full chamber of charcoal, used the Minion Method, 30-40 lit coals. Butt took 12 hours and there was 1/4 chamber of useable charcoal left.

Your going to love that WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>J. CLay: I'm going to do the expanded metal mod for the charcoal grate. Although, I'm having trouble finding expanded metal. I tried HD and Lowes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Try your local Iron Supply Works, especially one that does custom work. They usually have a "scraps" bin and will let you pick through it. I was able to replace my off-set's fire grate and get enough for a baffle and a charcoal basket for less than half of what I'd have paid at Home Depot. Just be sure to take a pair of gloves with you.

BTW, I lived in far-west Ft Worth for 8 years. Though I do miss Texas very much, I love the change of seasons here in Virginia. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Well guys you have got to love tracking numbers. My WSM is sitting at the house and I'm waiting to leave from work. It's like a little kid at Christmas. I've already planned on doing Baby Backs and a Brisquet this weekend. Thanks and see ya around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back