Dent in door opening, 14.5 WSM.

Bob Erdman

TVWBB Pro
Weber contacted. I would like to use my new cooker today for some spare ribs but am concerned that I wont be able to maintain a consistent temp because of the small gap between the door and center section. The gap is about a 1/16th of an inch, the dent is pushed outward so the whole left side will not seal properly. I'm thinking I should be able to compensate for the gap by adjusting the bottom vents.

Is there something I can use to temporarily seal the gap or am I over thinking this? :wsm:

Without seeing pics--and assuming Weber is shipping a new mid-section--what about using pliers to reshape and correct for the dimple, or dent? And if need be possibly fill-in the gap(s) with a wad of aluminum foil?

good luck!

Thank you, I have not been contacted by Weber yet about my claim so I'm reluctant to try and repair the dent myself without proper tools. A rubber mallet a block of wood might do the trick though. The foil sounds like the temp fix I was looking for. Have a great day!

A strip of wood on inside and outside pressed together with a clamp might straighten it out with no damage to your WSM. If you don’t have a clamp then Vice Grips work.

Thanks Lew, good idea. Weber just notified me that they were shipping me a new center section and a couple of washers that were missing. Time to look for my tools. lol

Here is bad picture of the dent. It's between the white dots.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20210521_172424.jpg
    thumbnail_20210521_172424.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 23
Yeah that looks significant enough that it could result in a temp control issue. It also looks like a good candidate for @Lew Newby's recommendation if you want to attempt reshaping it.

Back