Deja vortex (chicken and rice dinners)

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
It has been way too long since I have used the vortex. It had only been used lately as a raiser for the pizza stone. I was really craving vortex thighs and legs, so finally on Wednesday I got to fixing that craving. I really seasoned this chicken liberally.
IMG_20240514_174313.jpg

Done, 4 bone in skin on thighs, 5 legs, and two BLSL breast for the picky ones.
IMG_20240514_175816.jpg

Served with tomato rice and black beans.
IMG_20240514_180818.jpg

The chicken and the meal in general really hit the spot. I have been seasoning my chicken cooks more intensely lately and it is really paying off.

Later Wednesday night, my wife said, "I know we just had chicken pieces tonight, but can you make me Peruvian chicken?" I was like yeah. Went to the store Wednesday night and got a whole chicken. I quarter it and got it all marinade up.
IMG_20240514_225222.jpg

After a 2 day marinade, I refired up the vortex and went at it again.
IMG_20240517_171728.jpg

First check. Just have to say JD lump is aswsome, I used all 2nd cook charcoal for my first vortex cook (from my last pizza cook) and 70% 3rd cook charcoal today and you can see how much heat is still coming off it.
IMG_20240517_173339.jpg

Done, my Peruvian chicken always gets on the darker side with the vortex, but the taste is never burnt at all.
IMG_20240517_180449.jpg

Plates with Cajun rice and roasted red skin potatoes.
IMG_20240517_181412.jpg

Both meals were excellent. The vortex pumps out crispy juicy chicken every time. I will make sure the vortex is used again soon.

It has been way too long since I have used the vortex. It had only been used lately as a raiser for the pizza stone. I was really craving vortex thighs and legs, so finally on Wednesday I got to fixing that craving. I really seasoned this chicken liberally.
View attachment 91228

Done, 4 bone in skin on thighs, 5 legs, and two BLSL breast for the picky ones.
View attachment 91229

Served with tomato rice and black beans.
View attachment 91230

The chicken and the meal in general really hit the spot. I have been seasoning my chicken cooks more intensely lately and it is really paying off.

Later Wednesday night, my wife said, "I know we just had chicken pieces tonight, but can you make me Peruvian chicken?" I was like yeah. Went to the store Wednesday night and got a whole chicken. I quarter it and got it all marinade up.
View attachment 91231

After a 2 day marinade, I refired up the vortex and went at it again.
View attachment 91232

First check. Just have to say JD lump is aswsome, I used all 2nd cook charcoal for my first vortex cook (from my last pizza cook) and 70% 3rd cook charcoal today and you can see how much heat is still coming off it.
View attachment 91233

Done, my Peruvian chicken always gets on the darker side with the vortex, but the taste is never burnt at all.
View attachment 91234

Plates with Cajun rice and roasted red skin potatoes.
View attachment 91235

Both meals were excellent. The vortex pumps out crispy juicy chicken every time. I will make sure the vortex is used again soon.
Great looking cooks, I was really surprised with the JD Lump myself. It burned really clean. I want to do another cook with it tomorrow to get a better feel for it but I was impressed.

Great looking cooks, I was really surprised with the JD Lump myself. It burned really clean. I want to do another cook with it tomorrow to get a better feel for it but I was impressed.
Clean and slightly sweet. JD allows you to use other woods with it and doesn’t overwhelm the other smoke wood you pair with it.

I have some plum wood I’m planning on using tomorrow on a few St Lou slabs. Never used it before but it should be good. It’s from a tree we took out on a landscaping redo.

Bruno,
My wife does not like heavy smoke flavor on chicken so I just go with JD lump for most my chicken cooks. Like Brett said it really adds a light sweet smoke that is perfect. It also just last, I reuse and reuse the stuff. I keep that and Cowboy briquettes, on hand and I know I go through the bag of briquettes so much faster and the JD lump. The amount of cook time I get out of the JD lump makes it much easier to justify the cost. It just heats up fast, cooks consistent, and is worth the cost to me.

A couple of great chicken cooks, Michael! I just got a Vortex for my birthday, which I intend to use as my outdoor "wok burner", but I'm looking forward to using it for its intended purpose, too. :)

R

Rich, I forget, do you use the “dry, wet, dry” method when doing KFC?
Tim, if you are referring to the coating, we use the wet, dry method. Plain yellow mustard on the chicken then the first course which is the finer of the two such as a shake and bake variety, seasoned breadcrumbs, or our own or store bought. Then the courser final which is our "what have you in the pantry" from crushed cereal or deli crackers or whatever and our own rubs or blends worked in.
If we are looking for really crispy skin the mustard goes on the meat under the skin but not on the skin, layering the seasoning under the skin only.
Had some fantastic combos, if only I had written them down when we made them:cry:

A couple of great chicken cooks, Michael! I just got a Vortex for my birthday, which I intend to use as my outdoor "wok burner", but I'm looking forward to using it for its intended purpose, too. :)

R
Rich,
I can't wait to see what you do with it for both it's intended and unintended purpose.

Back