Deboned Stuffed Turkey Plan

Jon in DFW

TVWBB Fan
I only cook turkey once a year, and thats for Thanksgiving. I have been scouring the internet and forum for ideas since there's a lot of self imposed pressure on making it both great tasting, but also memorable.

I think this year im leaning towards a Deboned turkey, stuffed with an apple and herb sausage, with stuffing (or dressing in the south). Smoked on the 22" WSM using either apple wood or pecan (possibly a mix) at 350° until internal reaches 165°.

I am not sure if it will be rolled or more of a cushion shape,

some stock photos of my plans:turkey_cushions.jpg
Stuffed-Turkey-Breast-Sausage-1-1.jpg

Spoke to the wife today about my plan, she was so excited. My game plan will involve all the prep work assembling the turkey the day before, then in the fridge overnight with a little salt on the skin to dry brine and dry it out a bit. Then I will only have to cook on the smoker Thanksgiving Day... which frees up the oven for the sides with is really great.

Good luck, son loved spiral ham I am a turkey guy and like all the different parts, will cook 1 either on the smoker for 2 hours then into a cooking bag or straight up oven, stuffing I cheat on and buy as only me and the wife like something besides stove top lol, will be watching for the pictures, might take 3 people to hold all of that together while you tie it lol

The smoked and baked is a cool strategy for convenience.

Never made stuffing other than stove top, but going to look for a recipe for this year as its a special occasion and I will be making homemade sausage already, so it will all be homemade.

I will post pics for sure.

We like the cornbread stuffing, it's tough to make without practice, lots of chicken or turkey broth is needed , with just the 2 of us the frozen is easy and is very good. going to look it up as I need to source a package or too.

Turkey has been sourced, its a 24lb turkey. It goes into the fridge this afternoon to start the defrosting.
Still searching for a stuffing recipe, but a apple sausage recipe has been found and will be made this weekend.

As a retired butcher myself , I must say Jon you you did a super nice job on the boneless turkey. I believe the hardest part of this process is tying the boneless turkey and making it uniform and giving it a nice shape which you did..

@ChuckO and @Bill F in Ontario much appreciated.

Having the right tools was essential. I essential. I had my knives sharpend Tuesday and even picked up a small paring knife which can in handy for this job. Also a small pair of pliers to pull all the tendons out was the most quick and efficient way to do that.

That looks amazing, Jon. Can't wait to see the finished product. What are you expecting for cook time and temp?

I'm hoping to get the smoker to 325° but its pretty windy and cold this morning. Currently at 300°. But figuring 6-7hrs cook time and I gave myself 1hr extra before we sit to eat.

Wow, that looks smashing! I’ve wanted to try doing the “chicken melon” which Julia Child has done. Same idea yours looks wonderful!!
The turkey biscuits are a nice touch!

Back