Dealership being shady with people who don't know cars...

@JKalchik i hear what you are saying.

My comment was to share one of my cars surprised me how quickly rear pads wore out.

I typically change front pads and check the rear when doing the front. Often the rears last 3x longer. I don't recall which car had the rear pads wear out before the fronts.

I steer clear of dealers for repairs if possible.

Sadly I think dealers get a bum rap just because they're dealers. Though one thing I have seen after working in many dealer is the "front end" of the store is a reflection of the "back end". IOW if the front end is operated or tolerates people who operate like a bunch of Ali Babba's thieves then the service dept will reflect that. Bottom line is if I won't trade in the front of the store I certainly will not trade in the back. Another case in point. I like Hondas but the local Honda dealer is a totally dishonest bunch of thieves. So, sadly I won't bother buying a Honda because the nearest trustworthy dealer is 35 miles away in Crystal Lake IL. Really nice honest store. Just too far.

I remember when the MIL go too old to drive she sold her car to our oldest Son.
In the glove box was like 5 or 6 Lifetime brake/muffler warranties from the same local big name muffler and brake shop.
Man talk about taking advantage of a senior citizen on limited income. They heard about it from us but they blamed it on bad filing on the previous manager/s??

Maybe an alarmist headline, but it relates to some of what has been said here.

Fwiw

Why It’s Impossible to Get Your Car Repaired This Summer​

Across the U.S., a shortage of car parts in the past few years has collided with a continuing dearth of service technicians. The result: more frustrated customers, who are waiting longer to get their cars back, and paying more for service.

The backlog risks becoming a drag on the U.S. economy as higher repair costs prompt consumers to cut back spending elsewhere, or simply not having a working car curtails their mobility and productivity. A swath of service industries are facing labor shortages, from home construction to restaurants, appliance repair to trucking.

Maybe an alarmist headline, but it relates to some of what has been said here.

Fwiw

Why It’s Impossible to Get Your Car Repaired This Summer​

Across the U.S., a shortage of car parts in the past few years has collided with a continuing dearth of service technicians. The result: more frustrated customers, who are waiting longer to get their cars back, and paying more for service.

The backlog risks becoming a drag on the U.S. economy as higher repair costs prompt consumers to cut back spending elsewhere, or simply not having a working car curtails their mobility and productivity. A swath of service industries are facing labor shortages, from home construction to restaurants, appliance repair to trucking.
Without getting into specific stories, this is 100% correct. Seems like every job we get in has a part on backorder with no eta. Have a couple vehicles waiting on parts since October. Customers are pissed, and I don't blame them.

And finding even remotely qualified techs is very hard. I'm 42 and I'm the young guy in the shop. By a lot. Going to get worse as the older guys retire.

And finding even remotely qualified techs is very hard. I'm 42 and I'm the young guy in the shop. By a lot. Going to get worse as the older guys retire.
This is the same issue in many industries. I’ve been hiring and firing for a year now. Gone through 3 people. All of whom were incapable of working and being successful. It’s the worst candidate pool I’ve ever seen in my life. And I’m ten years your senior.

More than probably anything, brake life is influenced by driving style. I ride a bike more than I drive and find myself constantly looking for ways to conserve momentum and not use the brakes. I do the same in the car - always looking very far down the road to see if I need to stop for a light, etc. Aggressive city drivers probably go through eight times as many brakes as I do.

More than probably anything, brake life is influenced by driving style. I ride a bike more than I drive and find myself constantly looking for ways to conserve momentum and not use the brakes. I do the same in the car - always looking very far down the road to see if I need to stop for a light, etc. Aggressive city drivers probably go through eight times as many brakes as I do.
Because we have a hybrid when I am allowed to drive it that is what I do. But, I have always been one who does not drag on my brakes and coasts whenever possible without bugging folks behind me

But, I have always been one who does not drag on my brakes and coasts whenever possible without bugging folks behind me

This is a skill that is sadly not being learned by the next generations. And.... may be a bit dangerous to those of us who do because the drivers behind us are not paying sufficient attention.

I'm ears deep in a rear wheel seal issue on my pickup. Seals, emergency brake shoes & hardware kits, along with replacement caliper adapter brackets (glide pins are gummed up hard,) have all been pretty easy to acquire. I just need to find the time to get outside and fix it.

Back