Damper for Higher CFM fan Available??

Frank Giacinto

TVWBB Member
I am in need of a Damper for a higher CFM fan maybe 30 to 60 CFM.
I have a reverse flow smoker and the stock fan for the HeaterMeter will not be large enough?
Are any of the designs able to accept a larger fan?

My roto damper has a removable blower mount so larger blowers could be attached with a custom mount, however, the damper opening size is made to be similar to the output of the stock HM fan which is relatively small. A larger blower will still push more air but the damper opening will be a bit of a bottleneck, so the static pressure rating of the blower will be important, 'cause the damper opening will likely be smaller than a large blowers output, so it's going to have to force the air a bit...

I do have plans in the future to make a servo damper that is specifically designed for larger air flow and larger blowers but have no estimate when I will tackle that project...

130CFM, 2.5A draw???
That's a bit excessive don't you think? Are you trying to stoke the fire or take flight? LOL

Since the fan is pwm controlled it is better to have more power available than be under powered.
my smoker is a reverse flow 6 feet long 24 inch diameter. not sure how much flow I will need so I am thinking big. for the price I can't go wrong.
If I get bored maybe I can make the smoker fly around the yard and deliver the food.

Typically smoker fans are running in the range of 5-30 CFM, the more air you move the more you dry out your meat...
As for being better to have more power, within reason perhaps, but if you over power TOO much you may loose the ability to make smaller adjustments. For instance, 5% on the 130CFM blower would be 6.5CFM, which is more than the standard fan running 100%. So roughly from 0-4% on that blower will be about the same as the stock fan from 0-100%. IMHO it's better to choose a blower that has an output as close as possible to the maximum requirement (just a bit over) so you will get the finest resolution in blower response

haha 130CFM is just nuts. The fan is just supposed to be an assist, especially when used with a damper.

I'd also be concerned about pulling 2.5A through a 20 mil trace over 5 inches, and if the MOSFET can dissipate that much power without proper heatsinking. Also that the peak current is going to be a ridiculous amount higher. The 200mA blower pulls over 1A in pulses when PWMing. I mean, it will be an interesting test but something tells me performance will almost definitely be sub par.

Finally as someone who comes from a boating background, those bilge fans are loud as all get-out.

The reverse flow smoker concept is neat, but I think that having the fan on the stack will just end up pulling the smoke out too quickly and won't really let you control the firebox temps with any type of accuracy.

I suppose you could add a secondary MOSFET on it's own power supply, being PWM controlled by the primary heatermeter fan output.

I was going to use the fan with a DC-DC ssr to boost the power needed, but as usual I am over-building. My though was a 10 cfm fan is used and my smoker is 10 times bigger than a WSM so 100 cfm sounded good at the time.

What do you think would be a good size fan for my smoker, 30 to 50 cfm?

Back