Dad's Day Spread

Todd NC

TVWBB Pro
Very infrequent poster here. First, Happy Father's Day to all of the grilling dads out there. It was a great Father's Day and we shared some good food.

First up, a nice lunch of various appetizers - Smoked Pig Shots with kielbasa, bacon, cheddar, cream cheese, and onions. Seasoned with Meat Church Honey Hog; grilled hanger steak seasoned with Cattleman's Grill Ranchero; huge shrimp with a spiced rum glaze and grilled limes.

IMG_0985.jpeg

Dinner was a 3 lb. prime picanha that I cut into steaks and dry brined for 5 hours, Lyonnaise potatoes (easier to type "fried potatoes"), and roasted brussels sprouts. It's amazing how good brussels sprouts can be when they're cooked right. A very enjoyable day with delicious food. I hope all of you dads also had a great one. Sorry for the unclean cutting board. These steaks were juicy.

IMG_6196.jpeg

IMG_6201.jpeg

IMG_6205.jpeg

IMG_6206.jpeg

IMG_1363.jpeg

Last edited:
Very infrequent poster here. First, Happy Father's Day to all of the grilling dads out there. It was a great Father's Day and we shared some good food.

First up, a nice lunch of various appetizers - Smoked Pig Shots with kielbasa, bacon, cheddar, cream cheese, and onions. Seasoned with Meat Church Honey Hog; grilled hanger steak seasoned with Cattleman's Grill Ranchero; huge shrimp with a spiced rum glaze and grilled limes.

View attachment 93527

Dinner was a 3 lb. prime picanha that I cut into steaks and dry brined for 5 hours, Lyonnaise potatoes (easier to type "fried potatoes"), and roasted brussels sprouts. It's amazing how good brussels sprouts can be when they're cooked right. A very enjoyable day with delicious food. I hope all of you dads also had a great one. Sorry for the unclean cutting board. These steaks were juicy.

View attachment 93528

View attachment 93529

View attachment 93530

View attachment 93531

View attachment 93532
Can you please tell me more about the pig shots? I'd devour those.

Can you please tell me more about the pig shots? I'd devour those.

Sure. I started with a fresh link of kielbasa sausage and some thick-cut bacon. I cut the bacon slices in half cross-ways, and sliced the kielbasa so it was about 1/3 the width of the bacon. I wrapped each piece of sausage with the bacon and used a toothpick to hold it closed, forming a "cup". I dropped in a small piece of cheddar and filled the rest of the "cup" with cream cheese, topping it all with some finely diced onions, pressing them into the cream cheese so they'd stay put. Then I seasoned it all with some Meat Church Honey Hog rub. I set the kettle up for indirect using my slow n sear, with a chunk of apple above the coals for smoke. Left them on for about 40 minutes or so until the sausage was cooked. I also put a whole link of kielbasa on with them and judged the timing based on when the whole link was cooked. They turned out really good.

Back