Cutting Notch in 18.5 WSM

Colm G

I have a WSM for about 6 months, recently got an auber for and early Christmas present and I'm looking at getting a Maverick. I was looking for a way to run the cables, don't want to go the grommet route since the auber wire doesn't fit through. I was thinking about cutting a notch in the top lip of the center section. I'm wondering if anybody else has done this and if so if they have any tips. Does anything special need to be done such as tape over the site or using a special tool? I have the craftsman version of a dremel. Thanks in advance for any tips.

I used a dremel. I did not use a special prep - just install a cutting wheel and cut the groove. It works great. I can remove the cooking grate(s) with probes still attached and get the lid back on in seconds so I don't get temp spikes. I do what I want to do (foil, turn, etc) on a work table. Then I can get the grates back on the cooker and sweep the cables into the groove with a gloved hand and get the lid back on in seconds. Here you can see the groove and the cables resting in it.

IMG_1129.jpg

I have been thinking of doing this as well. I have the grommets and frankly they are a hassle IMO with how you have to run the wires and feeding them through the grates and stuff. Let me know how it works out. I am getting ready to do this on my 18 and 22 probably.

Keith

I have been thinking of doing this as well. I have the grommets and frankly they are a hassle IMO with how you have to run the wires and feeding them through the grates and stuff. Let me know how it works out. I am getting ready to do this on my 18 and 22 probably.

Keith

That's why I went with the groove instead. It works GREAT! I cut a groove in my kettle and mini wsm as well.

Bob,

I have the lamp rod grommets (large lamp rod even) and fitting the wires through is not the issue with me. The issue is routing the wire up through the grate can be a pain, but more of an issue is when you want to get to the meat on bottom grate, the wire through the top grate is always in the way. Plus I wrap my wires for my stoker in foil to help protect them and make them last longer so trying to thread the wires with foil wrapped around them through these grommets is a test in patience and I fail every time. :)

I have been thinking about notching the center cylinder lip so I can just slide the wire in and it will already be overtop the grate so no dealing with the grate. I just haven't had time to do it and now that I see others have done it, I am more likely to cut up my WSM in confidence.

Grommets do work, don't get me wrong and they are a great idea. I have a hard time just finding time to even smoke anything so if I can make setup and things even easier and quicker, then that increases my likelihood of using my WSMs.

Keith

Thanks for the info Dwain. I'll try that in about 2 weeks when I have the time With the holidays its hard to find time to smoke or do any mods but im looking forward to doing this, seems so much easier than running the wires constantly through grommets, especially with the auber wire which I don't think will fit through even a larger grommet.

Keith wrapping the wires in foil seems like a good idea too, i'll probably be stealing that one also

that does look easy...i added the grommet to mine and it works well , but i see the advantage to this as well.

The notch mod is in my very near future. Think I'll use the hand grinder as the wheel as about 3/16" wide

Cutting notches seems like a great and cheap solution. I have a dremel tool with metal cutting attachments, but if anyone has any helpful hints or tips on how to best cut the notch to fit two Maverick probes (such as location on the WSM 22.5, whether to use tape when cutting, ect), I would really appreciate it!

Cutting notches seems like a great and cheap solution. I have a dremel tool with metal cutting attachments, but if anyone has any helpful hints or tips on how to best cut the notch to fit two Maverick probes (such as location on the WSM 22.5, whether to use tape when cutting, ect), I would really appreciate it!
Definitely use a double layer of blue painter's tape on both sides and over the lip before you start cutting.
As far as placement goes, that's going to be a personal preference as to where you will place your transmitter.
One thing to keep in mind is to make sure the wires will not be blocking the door when in use.
I did not do this mod on my WSM. I was tempted to, but chickened out.
What I did do was the 1/8" lamp mod, but I just enlarged a hole in the body and one grill strap, so I did not drill fresh holes.
I may do the notch mod in the future, as I see how it could make a few things much easier.
20130428_182842-001.jpg

I have a Dremel tool, but opted to use the regular ol' hand held 4" angle grinder. With the Dremel, you'll have to make 2 slices as the cutting wheel is pretty thin. With the hand grinder, the grinding wheel is 3/16" - 1/4" wide and done in one swipe. I didn't use blue tape or even measure anything out. Just hit-it-and-get-it. :D
0AF2A5D9-1D07-43DE-A448-167777D91F80-5980-000002C34459FA10.jpg

I have a Dremel tool, but opted to use the regular ol' hand held 4" angle grinder. With the Dremel, you'll have to make 2 slices as the cutting wheel is pretty thin. With the hand grinder, the grinding wheel is 3/16" - 1/4" wide and done in one swipe. I didn't use blue tape or even measure anything out. Just hit-it-and-get-it. :D

Chad,

Did you notch the lid too? If not, do the probe wires still get pinched by the lid? I have a CyberQ Wifi from BBQ Guru, and during my first smoke last weeks I saw my wires were getting crimped between the lid and middle section. I would like to do something to mitigate that....

No you do not notch the lid.
The only purpose of this mod is to prevent the wires from getting pinched. So no, the lid does not pinch them.
See the "U" at the bottom of Chad's notch?
The wires rest in there and with the lid on, there is only a small hole visible where the wires pass through.

This is approximately what it would look like with the lid on.

Last edited:

It doesn't get any easier than that and no hassle with the grates. I did the grommet mod like Steve S going through the grill strap but this is easier to do and simpler to use.

I went with the notch and is priceless. Grease will seal it off and no worries of pinched wires.

Back