Cutting a brisket for pastrami and smoked beef

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I picked up a 17.4 lb choice packer from costco.

I'd like to do pastrami with part and smoke the rest. Looking for guidance on where to cut and how much to trim.

from what I've read the point will work well for smoking, and I'll use the flat for pastrami.

I've read different things about where to cut the point from the flat so that is more or less what I'm looking for.

Last edited:
I’ve done this a couple times before and while it turned out ok it was a lesser product than I have seen posted here using a packaged corned beef then soaking it to remove salt to make pastrami.
I will go that route next cook.

To cut out the flat out I look at the fat lines and then go into the point a bit.
I also cut out the real thin flat side so I’m left wt a nice thick flat cut.

When I first started doing this I was hesitant to remove so much precious meat.
I now use all my trimmings to make good hamburger meat.
I even add some end cuts of smoked pork belly to my hamburger meat blend and like that a lot.

I’ve done this a couple times before and while it turned out ok it was a lesser product than I have seen posted here using a packaged corned beef then soaking it to remove salt to make pastrami.
This will be an attempt to test that.

Edit. The only pastrami I've made from corned beef was SRF wagyu and my second try was really good.

I want to try with brisket at half the cost. We'll see how it works.

Last edited:
When I make pastrami I prefer to use the flat. I buy a whole brisket and remove the point and hide it for later.
That is my plan, but I've not split the point from the flat before.

I'll post a pic of the full packer and ask where to cut.

Separate the point from the flat. Don’t slice it down the middle leaving point and flat together in the center.

I usually start at the heavy fat nodule where the point sits atop the flat and then making small slices, separating the two muscles.

I’ll see if I can find a video for you.

I do not recommend trimming it much, if at all.

Or this one from the Boss:

Last edited:
Thanks Brett.
and don't you dare make Point burn ends. that's a waste of the Point IMHO. i'd smoke that point and slice it as a smoked brisket. the point is the best part of any brisket for slicing. it makes incredible sammies, on rye with jewish deli mustard and a side of slaw or potato salad.

here's my got for slaw. this recipe is on point for traditional NY Deli slaw. sliced carrots are optional. https://www.sipandfeast.com/new-york-deli-coleslaw/

i made this slaw last night for two full spares racks i cooked up with some homemade carolina gold sauce, along with some mac n cheese.

the flat for pastrami will come out great. hopefully you'll document and post your process and smoke on that.

and don't you dare make Point burn ends. that's a waste of the Point IMHO. i'd smoke that point and slice it as a smoked brisket.

smoked brisket point is the plan.

the flat for pastrami will come out great. hopefully you'll document and post your process and smoke on that.

I'm reading on techniques and will start a new thread with my journey.

The immediate question I had was how best to separate the point from the flat and the video helped.

The point will be vac-sealed and frozen, and I may end up freezing the flat too depending on how the week goes.

smoked brisket point is the plan.

I'm reading on techniques and will start a new thread with my journey.

The immediate question I had was how best to separate the point from the flat and the video helped.

The point will be vac-sealed and frozen, and I may end up freezing the flat too depending on how the week goes.
i really like Tori Avey's recipes. i've made a bunch of her recipes over the years and really have some to like how and what she makes. considering a pastrami will brine for 5-7 days, you have time to brine it and then freeze if you want to. then you can defrost, rub and smoke it. on cook temp, i do like the 180F done temp. i prefer my pastrami to be more firm that fall apart brisket-like. but that's just me. and you can halve the flat into to parts and brine them and cook only one of the halves if you want. lots of options on flats.

you just need a real sour pickle to go with this meal...... i know there's a recipe on this forum for some excellent ones. <snicker>

Back