Current Thoughts on Wireless Thermometers?

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I need a new one. The Meater + looks interesting, and the Thermoworks Smoke - I think the Signal is beyond my budget.
Amy suggestions?

I have both. Smoke gives you greater flexibility with wide choice of temp probes and probably better wireless range. I primarily use the MEATER for rotisserie cooking where a wired probe just wouldn’t work. And ThermoWorks has Smoke on sale right now.

I have a smoke also and it's far superior to the Maverick I had before. I've had the smoke for a couple of years, and it's been very reliable, and the probes have held up well also.

Got a Meater+ for Christmas. Only one cook on it so far, but it performed very well.

Is the Smoke good enough, or is the Smoke X worth the extra money?
I have the Smoke and sometimes I wish I had just 1 more probe, but the more probes you have the more you have to wrangle probe wires. For me, I think having 2 probes is adequate.

Is the Smoke good enough, or is the Smoke X worth the extra money?
I think most of the difference is range and price. If you don’t need the longer range of the X I’d go with the great deal on smoke. If you do need range you should also look at Signals which you cam monitor through the internet. I know I said I have both but I actually have Signals (not smoke) and it’s nice to be able to monitor temp when I am taking the dog for a walk

I have the Smoke X4, but in hindsight I probably would have been perfectly happy with the regular Smoke. At the current sale price for the Smoke, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

As others have said, the more probes you’re using, the more wires you’re dealing with. I rarely use more than two probes at a time.

I also have the Meater and the Meater+. Don't waste your money on the standard Meater...if you choose to buy one, buy the Meater+, IOW. I use mine for rotisserie proteins. The one time I used it on the grill, a little bit of the juice from the steak dripped onto the flavo bar and started a small flareup. I use GrillGrates on the gasser so flareups are usually not a problem but the end of the Meater+ was right over a hole in the GGs which caused the Meater+ to freak out and go into panic mode.

TL,DR...
One meat probe: get a smoke.
More than one: smoke x4

I have a TW smoke, smoke x4 and meater plus.

I bought the smoke first.

Bought the smoke X4 to run a billows and for more meat probes.

I bought the Meater plus for rotisserie.

TW probe temps seem more accurate and react faster than the Meater

I like the controls on the smoke better than the smoke X4. The X4 needs more clicks to make changes to things.

Remote on the smoke works anywhere in my house.

Remote on the X4 range is much better. I can walk next door or across the street and it works well.

Meater plus is OK. I have intermittent connect issues. Meat temp always reads a little low. and the temps are slower to update. I don't trust ambient temps. I like the graphing and cloud app and no wires so it will work on a rotissire.

Yeah, I guess my next question is how much people like the billows. When I was last looking at this stuff a couple years ago, the billows products out there were a bit over $200. Now they're pretty reasonable.

Stone, I'm sure you are aware that the Meater+ and the TW Smoke are two different animals. If you have a rotisserie then go with the Meater+ or the ThermoPro TempSpike. If not, then the Smoke or SmokeX all the way.

One thing to note on things that have software like Meater and ThermoPro is the sophistication of the interface. That's really how you interact with the utensil is through the software. The Signals software (along with the Smoke with gateway) is very polished and informative. Meater is also very nice to use. I have a couple of Inkbird products and their software is barebones, but if that is all you are after then it will be sufficient. I suggest you have a look at the software if that is part of the package to see if it fits your needs.

Yeah, I guess my next question is how much people like the billows. When I was last looking at this stuff a couple years ago, the billows products out there were a bit over $200. Now they're pretty reasonable.
I only have experience with the billows atc. But I think it works well. Very simple to use.

Back