Cryovaced Butts?

Jeff Boudman

TVWBB Wizard
I have several butts in the freezer and will probably pick up a non frozen one tomorrow.
Curious as to how long I can bring frozen cryovac butts above freezing in cold water.

I'm not sure if you're asking how long it will take to thaw, or how long you can keep it in a cold water bath. I'm not an expert on either but I think the USDA suggests that if food is completely thawed by water submersion it should be cooked immediately. My uneducated guess is that a butt--given its overall thickness--will take several hours to thaw.

A couple years ago I smoked an 8 lb pork shoulder from its fully-frozen state in 15 hours with a pit temp of 240f-260f. I have no issue smoking in the upper 200f's, so I must have been in the mood to hang out with the smoker that day. These days I don't usually use a binder for a shoulder rub but I did so on this smoke because I was uncertain how it would adhere to the frozen exterior.

If memory serves, I got the idea to smoke a frozen shoulder from a thread on this site.

https://www.fsis.usda.gov/food-safety/safe-food-handling-and-preparation/food-safety-basics/big-thaw-safe-defrosting-methods#:~:text=Cold Water Thawing&text=If the bag leaks, bacteria,so it continues to thaw.

Who Dey!

Use a small insulated cooler for the water bath. Stays much colder than the sink. So much less or no water changing needed. If it gets a little warm toss in some ice or ice packs. Use you bbq remote to monitor temps. Easy and fast.

Back